PDA

View Full Version : Pakistani loach acting weird

Ghostknife
04-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I have 4 Pakistani Loaches, they all seem happy, bar one!!

For some reason he will go under the rock, & turn himself upside down. He is nowhere near as active as the other lads, I must say I am concerned for him.

Could he just be chilling, or is something wrong with him would you imagine. His colour is not gone either, & he is only a small one himself. I have called him quatro, as he seems to have 4 lines down his sides.

Before people mention anything about me saying 'he', implying its a male, I know you cant really sex them. Its just for ease of telling the problem.

any advise is very appreciated!!

Blue Ram
04-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Have you noticed any lack of appitite or eratic swimming? What are the water parameters?

Sometimes a fish will often sulk in a corner or under some stuff if being harrassed by other fish. Or if newly introduced a yoyo loach is often not as active. They get a little aggressive as they get use to the tank.

Ghostknife
04-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Have you noticed any lack of appitite or eratic swimming? What are the water parameters?

Sometimes a fish will often sulk in a corner or under some stuff if being harrassed by other fish. Or if newly introduced a yoyo loach is often not as active. They get a little aggressive as they get use to the tank.

Parameters, bar the ammonia levels, have never been checked!

He has never had an appetite, I try and dump some food around him specifically, so he gets some. There is one bully in there, he is a little brat! Harrassing the original loach I have had from the beginning, I am not happy with it!! The one hiding away has been there a couple of weeks now, surely he would be okay to go out and about by now!??

Blue Ram
04-13-2008, 02:32 AM
You should get a test kit and test the water. Your water may have high ammonia or something or the pH level could be the problem.

What kind of food are you offering? Also the fact that there is a bully in your tank means that the loach may be getting harrased and usually a harrassed fish hides away fades in color and doesnt eat. I think your problem is the bully.

Ghostknife
04-13-2008, 02:43 AM
You should get a test kit and test the water. Your water may have high ammonia or something or the pH level could be the problem.

What kind of food are you offering? Also the fact that there is a bully in your tank means that the loach may be getting harrased and usually a harrassed fish hides away fades in color and doesnt eat. I think your problem is the bully.

Yeah, but he has not lost his colour!! One of the bigger ones have, but not the one I am concerned about! I have an ammonia test kit. Ammonia is fine, I will have to invest in the rest of the test kits though. This is bleedin' expensive!!

Blue Ram
04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Fish that are harrassed dont always loose color, loose appitite and sulk in a corner. Thats just what they usually do. So that being said it could still be the bully but there are some other factors that could be playing a role in this as well. My guess is that he is being stressed to much by either bad water quality ot the bully or both. You should get the test kit ASAP and test the water and see if that has anything to do with the fish. Keeping looking for signs of fungus or other types of illness. Also watch the bully and see if he is picking on the yoyo loach. He may need to be removed to another tank or the loach{s} may need to be moved instead. Good Luck!!! This sounds a lot like what happend to my tiger barbs when i put them in with two cichlids. That was a bad idea. Of course i was new to the hobby back then. A whole four years ago.

Ghostknife
04-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Well, yup, turns out the ph was very high... Doh! Poor fishies, but I've put some of the acid buffer in now, so fingers crossed that'll help him (and all the fish). The bully is one of the larger yoyo's, at least it looks to me that he's a bully. Maybe he's just playing?

Ghostknife
04-13-2008, 11:49 AM
And as if by magic, the loach is out and about like there was never a problem. Thank god/ Blue Ram!!

The PH dropped, & it all seems good. I am delighted about it!!! Thanks blue Ram, you evil genius you

Blue Ram
04-13-2008, 08:56 PM
And as if by magic, the loach is out and about like there was never a problem. Thank god/ Blue Ram!!

The PH dropped, & it all seems good. I am delighted about it!!! Thanks blue Ram, you evil genius you

Glad that I could be of some help! Yoyo loaches are generally a little shy when first introduced to a new aquarium, but after awhile once they know there sourroundings they can be a little aggressive. Hope they live long lives! They are great fish. I use to have 2 of them, but they died a few months ago from chlorine poisoning. I am planning on getting 2 more in a few months.