PDA

View Full Version : I could use your betta knowledge, please.

Glasstapper
11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi guys. I've never had a betta before, but I've always wanted one ever since I was a kid. I've been doing tons of reading on their care, and I've decided on a 5 gallon tank for a crowntail. Of course, I'll cycle the tank properly and have live plants already growing for him before I bring him home, but I do have a couple of questions that I've found mixed replies for.

Would a 5 gallon just for the one betta be a sort of wast of room, or would he totally love it?

If I should add some company for him, would you think small corys for the bottom or a small school of very plain fish be ok? I'd hate for him to be lonely, but I'm not sure if just putting a mirror next to him sometimes would be enough. I do have a 45 gallon with some playful flame gouramis, so maybe I could set him next to that tank so he can see them?

What are my options here? (I'm definitely not going any smaller than a 3g at the most, but would prefer the 5g)

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
11-07-2006, 12:06 AM
You could get a 10 gallon and add a divider and have two.

Betta_noob
11-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Well I don't know much about what fish go with what, because I just have bettas.

But my experience would probally lean towards him loving that much room.
But be forwarned, some fish...like don't know what to do with that much room. There's a possiblity that he might actually hate it, that doesn't happen often but I'm just warning you just incase you spend all this time setting him up and he hates it, heh.

Also make sure your filter isn't too rough, bettas can literally get pushed away by a filter so make sure it has settings so that you can lower the power on it.

Glasstapper
11-07-2006, 02:09 AM
I would really like the 10 gallon with the divider, but I'd have to take care in monitoring the water gets filtered properly on both sides and to be sure there are 'blind spots' where they can not see each other for a while and rest.

I'm looking for a tank that comes with an adjustable flow on the filter, but if I can't find one, then I'll just put some hose or breatheable material over the waterfall so as not to create much turbulence.

The more I think, though, I don't believe I will actually put any other fish in with him. He'll be so beautiful that he would 'wash out' any other fish! ;)

Also, where the heck do you guys buy these? All I can find are the veiltail variety. They're beautiful as well, but I'm looking to splurge a bit.

Betta_noob
11-07-2006, 05:29 AM
Well if you look at a local petstore as opposed to like petco or petsmart they tend to have different kinds of bettas.
But I know people who have found all sorts of fish at WalMart Petco and Petsmart that really needed a loving home, including double tails o_O!

Anyway...You've just got to look :P

betta mom
11-07-2006, 11:01 PM
i think a 5gal would be nice .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/cryptoknighte/image%20storage/deb1.gif. as far as finding betta's you just have to look around . http://www.chatitaliachat.it/serpe/nuevas/83.gif.http://www.chatitaliachat.it/serpe/varie/604.gif

Glasstapper
11-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Actually, I found some crowntails at my petsmart. (no worries, this store isn't that bad) I felt so bad for all the little guys in those tiny little cups, but I will only be able to bring one home. :(

Hey, what kind of plants do you guys go grow with your betta? I think I will try to grow him some grass at the bottom (dwarf hairgrass), but I can't decide on a taller one for him to sleep on and swim around. Java fern maybe?

(I just know he's going to love that big 5g tank all for himself!)

minabird
11-08-2006, 02:23 PM
I’ve kept a betta in a 5g minibow alone and with a pair of albino corys. He enjoyed their company and would often hang out near them on the bottom. The only time he got “nippy” with them is when I first introduced them and they got too close to his rock cave and he would chase them away. After a week or 2, he settled down and now just plants himself between them and his cave entrance when they rest in his territory. As for plants, he loved swimming between the leaves of the dwarf sagittaria (sagittaria subulata) and the stalks of the primrose (ludwigia repens). When the primrose got tall enough, he would rest on the top leaves near the surface.

I’ve since moved them to a 28g bowfront with driftwood, bogwood, 4 cuttings from the primrose, 2 jungle vallisneria ( 1 melted away and the other one is surviving), cryptocoryne wendtii, 2 banana plants (nymphoides aquatica), 2 african spearheads (anubias gracilis) and added 4 more albino corys. I also added black sand in the front for the corys to play in. My betta really enjoys the company of the corys. He actually gets in the middle of the pack when they are eating and pecks away at the tablet along with them or scuries around them picking up pieces from the tablet.

Glasstapper
11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Wow, minabird, that sounds ideal! I really like the cory cats.

minabird
11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Glasstapper-

When I first saw the cory cats I fell in love with them. The first one I ever got was an emerald cory. Recently, I saw a small school of the emeralds at Petco. They were at least 3". Mine was only 2". Never saw any that big in a pet store before. When I was looking for some tankmates for my betta in his 5g, I decided on the albinos since they wouldn't get as big as the emerald corys. And I figured it would allow me to make a small school of them when I finally relocated everyone to the 28g.

Yeah, I lucked into a betta that doesn't mind being part of the cory gang even tho he's different! :19: My original theme for this tank was a SE Asia backwater biotope, and thanks to the driftwood and bogwood, it even looks like it with the tea-stained water. I have 4 kuhlis in my algea/snail quarantine tank (old 5g betta tank) that I was going to transfer to this tank and then get some harlequin rasboras to replace the school of corys. But now I’m feeling a little apprehensive about moving the corys out and stressing out Bart (my betta) because I took away his pals.

I’m leaning toward moving the kuhlis to a 10g that I’m cleaning up for 3 female betas I have in quarantine…. after they’ve taken care of my snail problems in the quarantine tank and my 28g tank!. :D

Good luck with your setup for your betta. Would love to see your tank when you get everyone settled in.

Ps. Enjoyed reading your blog!

kimmers318
11-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I have one of my bettas in the 5 gal eclipse bowfront...he loves it. There is a tall silk plant under water flow to divert it but he usually hangs out there so I guess the flow doesn't bother him. There are currently 3 baby panda cory's for company and all seems well. Rainbow did hide in the caves when they first came home like he was telling them to stay away, the funny thing is he was never in the caves before! So far, all is well and everyone is happy....go for it....beautiful betta, 5 gal....multiple tank syndrome strikes again :)

Glasstapper
11-08-2006, 09:33 PM
multiple tank syndrome, indeed! Just today a coworker asked me if I wanted her mother's 25 gallon (or around that size) because she doesn't have time to keep it up anymore. I told her, "Well heck yeah I want it!" :)

Now to figure out where to put it....hmmm.