PDA

View Full Version : feeding Clown Pleco

gabbyguppy
04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a young Clown Pleco that I am having a problem feeding.

I posted a few weeks ago that he flat refuses to eat fresh veggies. Still haven't found anything 'fresh' he will eat.

I finally decided he was going to starve and broke down and bought a bottle of algae wafers and some shrimp pellets.

He shows interest in both and I feel he would certainly eat, IF my other fish would leave him alone. They always find his food and he will not fight for it.

I am probably guilty of under feeding my fish, so anything that hits the water is fair game for them.

My questions is........does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed the Pleco when the other fish bully him? I am even placing the wafers in his hiding place, at night with the lights off....still doesn't work.

My fish are PIGS......if there is food in the tank they are going to eat it. I fear my Pleco could be on the verge of starving.

Please help,

Karen

smaug
04-06-2008, 06:17 PM
your clown need a piece of driftwood,that plays heavily into there diet.Mine likes catfish discs as well.All that being said he also needs a nice piece of driftwood for hiding they are very shy and will not compete well at all with more aggressive eaters.What other type of fish do you have and how big is the tank?

goleafs
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
You could try feeding your other fish in one corner then dropping in the pleco food in the opposite corner. Make sure to do this in pitch black though. Don't worry about you pleco starving unless there is absolutely no algae in the tank.

Ryuu
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
your clown need a piece of driftwood,that plays heavily into there diet.Mine likes catfish discs as well.All that being said he also needs a nice piece of driftwood for hiding they are very shy and will not compete well at all with more aggressive eaters.What other type of fish do you have and how big is the tank?

I agree when I had my pleco his main diet was driftwood with some algae lol

gabbyguppy
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM

I have a huge piece of driftwood (attaching a pic). Is it possible he is getting enough nurishment from the wood and just doesn't need the supplemental foods? He stays on the back of the driftwood most of the time.

I have the nicest little tank of community fish. There are five Rasboras, four Platys, two male Guppies and the Clown Pleco. All fish get along great (except when the Guppies think they can breed the Platys).:1luvu:

The tank is a 30 gallon long.

The issue is at feeding time......they take the Plecos food no matter where I place it, they find it and eat until they are about to pop.

Karen

Ryuu
04-06-2008, 08:05 PM
um id get him some algea wafers he will eat thoose up, but after that thats all you can do

smaug
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
thats where he is getting his chow.clowns consume lots of it and need it in there diet.
GOLEAFS:clowns eat very little algae if any at all,many plecs wont touch the stuff.