PDA

View Full Version : Kuhli Loach

Ghostknife
04-04-2008, 08:47 AM
emm... I don't know where my Two Kulhi loaches have gone, i put them in my tank yesterday, & now I cannot see any trace of them. Do they bury themselves in Gravel or something by any chance?

Very odd if you ask me

angelcakes
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
there very good at burying in the gravel.thats where there likely to be:19:

Ghostknife
04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Seriously?? I hope you're right buddy!! They are quite small, so I hope they don't get crushed! I will let you know next time I see them

Is there any way I can check? Or is it possible I won't see them for a while!!

Demi ^_^
04-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Mate, don't look for them, I left my lil guy for a week, thought he'ed been eaten, didn't lift up drfitwood or anything, over the next few days he came out periodically.

Now, I've had him for 3 months, hes out ALL the time, hes been slithing under the driftwood ALL day today. Goodluck!

Ghostknife
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Thats the funny thing, I lifted the driftwood looking for them, not in depth though.

Thanks lads, you have relieved my fears a bit!! Cheers

jbeining75
04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
They are under the gravel. Kuli Loaches are awesome to look at when you can find them/.......

angelcakes
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
and when you do find them i think they come out bigger than you last saw them.......:19:

TowBoater
04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
They will bury themselves and get under ANYTHING in your tank and make a little den there.

Ghostknife
04-04-2008, 12:24 PM
They will bury themselves and get under ANYTHING in your tank and make a little den there.

Excellent, shoulda got some see through gravel. Seriously though, delighted to hear they haven't been eaten or anything.

Interesting little fish, eh? Will have to read up on them

sarahfaye
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Keep an eye out for them in the early morning. The tend to come out and slither up and down the tank sides then. That's when I always see mine.

minneapolis
05-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Are the black and the yelow and black Kulhis the same type? I just bought 4 black ones but I really wanted the ones with the yellow and black stripes that are also called Kulhi loaches but none of the local fish stores had any. If I add a couple more of the striped ones will they play with the black ones?

Northernguy
05-07-2009, 04:46 AM
It is hopefully hiding under in the tank.
Have you checked the floor behind the tank? lol:14:
Sorry had to ask!:22:

Dave66
05-07-2009, 04:51 AM
If you add four or five more Kuhli Loaches you'll see them a good deal more, since the more in the group the more secure the loaches are, so they don't have to hide all the time. Kuhli loaches are VERY social, so the more you have, the more you'll see them, since right now with just two, it's unnatural for them.

Dave

mac
05-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Yes the more Kulies you have the more you will see them. Also 2 is not really enough to make them feel secure, so I would get at least 5 more.

These fish are great at hiding. Mind you mine hardly ever hide. Mine are always out and about.

I would not worry about them. Just keep a eye out, over time they will come out and show them selves.

mac

kennedpa
05-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Or you could have a bo peep at night when the tank light is out, they tend to come out for a bo peep when everyone else is asleep :ssmile:

Kaz
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, the 3 things that make kuhlis come out more are:

a) Time

b) larger tanks

c) More kuhlis

of course all those things just add to the feeling of security which is what really makes them come out, so if you have really active, aggressive fish that dampens that feeling. A lot.

So yes, at the very least 1-2 more.

Arkie
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
yes definately getting more kuhlis will help yours become more visible!!!! and i dont think they mind whether or not some of them are coloured and some are not. i have all coloured ones at the moment but i do plan on getting some "plain" ones soon :1luvu:

mac
05-08-2009, 11:28 PM
a) Time

I found that with proper stocking of Kuleis in appropriate tank, it does not matter about the time of day.

b) larger tanks

Very true. LArger the better. For me tanks around 80+ gallon makes them mega active.

c) More kuhlis

More and more Kulies. I have over 10, and they are always out and about, looking at getting more.

of course all those things just add to the feeling of security which is what really makes them come out, so if you have really active, aggressive fish that dampens that feeling. A lot.

I have quite a few fish which get territorial with the Kulies, the main thing is to had plenty of cover and places for them to hide in. Like mega coved logs in Java Fern, or Java moss. The main thing is they need cover to hide from danger.

Kaz
05-09-2009, 02:58 AM
I found that with proper stocking of Kuleis in appropriate tank, it does not matter about the time of day.

As in you'll see them more on your 3rd week than on your first day.

mac
05-09-2009, 03:56 AM

Hmm. When I introduced mine into my 100 gallon, they were out and about the whole day and it has not changed for months.

mac

Arkie
05-09-2009, 04:06 AM
it could also depend on the type of tank mates in with them, mine arent as socialable as they could be because i have them in with some smallish cichlids.... just an idea.

Wild Turkey
05-09-2009, 04:19 AM

Hmm. When I introduced mine into my 100 gallon, they were out and about the whole day and it has not changed for months.

mac

Several variables here, to name a few

other species in the tank
acclimation method
individual fish personality
how active/noisy the environment outside of the tank is

mac
05-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Several variables here, to name a few

other species in the tank
acclimation method
individual fish personality
how active/noisy the environment outside of the tank is

Right. The tank is in a busy section of the house. A lot of movement.

Tank mates. 2 Zipper Loaches which fight all the time, and fight anything around them. 1 Red Tail Shark. He fights the 3 SAE's all day. A fairly bossy Angel. 6 Kutubus which are always spawning. 4 Golden Zebra Loaches always chasing each-other around. 2 male Fire Mouths. Always fighting and chasing the bottom dwellers.

So the tank is fairly busy. Our house is quite noisy to. So not the optimum environment. But they are always out.

As for Acclimatizing these fish, I just got them from my LFS and dripped acclimate them for 1 hour.

As for the fish personally with the Kulies. HAve no clue. They always been busy. Always have.

To the point the shop owner has never seen anything like it before. Plus they spawn from time to time. Already had a spawn with young Kulies which have survived.

mac

Kaz
05-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah, sometimes something like that happens, the aquarium has just the right combination of elements and the fish thrive.

I've read something about somebody who accidently got chinese algae eaters to breed.

Also, if you have a bunch of kuhlis and a large tank then you reduce the first day jitters of the fish. And you drip acclimatizing.

Wild Turkey
05-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah, sometimes something like that happens, the aquarium has just the right combination of elements and the fish thrive.

Right. Thats exactly what i was implying mac, there just too many variables to say with any certainty why yours would be active the first week and other peoples may not.

mac
05-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Quite true.

Also, if you have a bunch of kuhlis and a large tank then you reduce the first day jitters of the fish. And you drip acclimatizing.

Well I have done the same thing in my 50 gallon and in a 30 gallon. With the same results.

And the 30 gallon all 10 Kulies got killed by 2 Zippers. But that took a long time, I think the Zippers started breeding.

mac

mac
05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Right. Thats exactly what i was implying mac, there just too many variables to say with any certainty why yours would be active the first week and other peoples may not.

Well true. But for me I have taken the advice of plenty of people with more than 60 years experience with fish keeping.

And the key is not really the stocking of other fish, as long as real aggressive fish are avoided, but the way the tank is set up. Planted, with very thick thickets for them to hide in, along with plants like Crypts to swim around, with very fine sand, and I have found boiled tree leaves. I know they love these, they are always in and out of leaves, in a ball.

Plus every tank I set up for either me or some one else the Kulies are always active no matter what.

mac