PDA

View Full Version : Swimming shrimp

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I never realized until I got my shrimp that they swam around the tank! I thought they just crawled around on plants. I notice my girls stick to the plants pretty much but the boys swim here and then, back and forth in the tank a lot.

Is there some reason for this or is this the way it works?

They are wonderful cleaners and my moss is getting very pretty, all nice and clean of algae and new stuff starting. They are like little workers bees.

angelcakes
04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I never realized until I got my shrimp that they swam around the tank! I thought they just crawled around on plants. I notice my girls stick to the plants pretty much but the boys swim here and then, back and forth in the tank a lot.

Is there some reason for this or is this the way it works?

They are wonderful cleaners and my moss is getting very pretty, all nice and clean of algae and new stuff starting. They are like little workers bees.
not being a keeper of shrimp yet!! i always thought they crawled around to,thays how ive always seen them in lfs.....no idea why they do it though

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Get places faster by swimming. Ghost shrimp are some of the fastest little buggers I've ever seen when it comes to swimming.

RainMan
04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Everytime I think of shrimp... I think of Jacques from "Finding Nemo" Oo, la mer!... Voila, he is clean! LOL

Anyway... I never thought about the swimming either. That's cool!

EDIT: Typo

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Why do my little boys swim around but not my girls? They just eat and eat and eat.

Fishalicious
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
The girls are too hard working and the boys are constantly on the look out for some new females to work their charms on :1luvu:

Throw in a corydoras feeding tablet (or half) wait like 10 minutes and you will see a HUGE clump of shrimp all over it fighting LOL

Tooch
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
The food...er, shrimp, in my ray tank swim around alot too. I was suprised a couple weeks ago when I noticed this as well. It's pretty need to watch. they remind me of the little cartoon dogs that move their legs really really fast when they walk lol

angelcakes
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
The girls are too hard working and the boys are constantly on the look out for some new females to work their charms on :1luvu:

Throw in a corydoras feeding tablet (or half) wait like 10 minutes and you will see a HUGE clump of shrimp all over it fighting LOL
typical male............:hmm3grin2orange:

Halelorf
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Whenever I go to the LFS saltwater section the cleaner shrimp are always jumping around and swimming. I've even seen some cruise the tank swimming for like 5 minutes straight. I always thought they just walked around too before I saw those things! :hmm3grin2orange:

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
My ghost shrimp used to cruise all around my 55 gallon all the time..... They are fast little buggers

Algenco
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
The guys are out cruizin, looking to pick up chicks:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
They're all over the place. Little girls all munching on their pellet and little boys swimming and swimming. The tank is right by my computer so I get to watch them all day. Very cute and so glad I got them.

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Glad you are getting some enjoyment outta the shrimp Hobbs. They are awesome little guys to watch cruise the tank....