PDA

View Full Version : Raising Feral Plecos?

FeralPleco
10-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I've found a pocket of adult feral plecos, all about 20" long, here in Texas. Apparently, they thrive here. I've netted dozens of adults from a stream but haven't seen any juveniles. They appear to be regular Hypostomus plecostomus(Snow Kings?). How can I appropriately cleanse parasites and diseases from these captives? How may I breed them? If anyone is interested I'm willing to ship some. Please advise....

William
10-30-2005, 04:55 AM
I don't know what to say. It's a nice find in one way but it is a shame to se them in areas they don't belong in too. I would recommend contacting your local fishery department and inform them about it as plecos unfortunately can make a lot of damage.

That said. I am sure that their might be a few people interested in buying them and you might be able to sell a few of them at least to different LFS if you treat them and keep them in quarantine before you sell them. They are after all impressive at that size. You will most likely be able to find younger specimens in the area too since it sounds strange with a large adult population without any fry. Look for burrows/holes in the banks because plecos build those to spawn.

I would start with adding some salt (without iodide) to the water since this gets rid of along row of diseases. I would than use some all-round medicine in the aquarium. There are multiple brands available and it is best just to se what your LFS carry.

I would than keep them in that tank for a couple of weeks and keep a close eye on them. If you don't se any sign of disease you’re probably good.

I would consider forgetting about the medicine and only use that if I spotted anything but I would use the salt none the less.

Hope this helps in some small way.
William

FeralPleco
10-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks William!
Anyone know about breeding requirements for common plecos?
How can I sex them and gauge sexual maturity. I assume you age them by slicing them vertically and counting the rings. Oh wait, thats trees. LOL Just kidding, but seriously how do you detrermine the age of an unknown specimen? Any help appreciated....

William
10-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Sorry to say that I can't help you with either of those questions. The common pleco is as far as I know never breed in aquarium. It can however be breed in ponds with a muddy bottom.

Knowing how old they are is also very hard to tell since the growth speed is determined by the amount of food available and the size of the water they reside in etc. Knowing thee factors fore wild caught plecos living in waters where they don't natural belong is almost impossible.

Sorry that I can't help you more. Perhaps someone else can.

lpstong
12-22-2005, 04:17 PM
That is sad if you can't breed plecos in an aquarium. Do you know why they can't breed anywhere else than in there natural habitat?

William
12-23-2005, 02:48 AM
My guess would be that it is due to the fact that pleocos want to dig a burrow in mudd banks to breed which they can't do in an aquarium. they can howevere be breed in ponds

Neithan
12-09-2006, 01:10 PM
*ahem*

Where do you get that plecos can't be bred in aquariums? o.O I took a quick look at a forum in my native language and spotted threads about fry and/or eggs laid by Peckoltia sp. (L-134), Hypancistrus zebra (L-046) as well as Hypancistrus sp. (L-174). And I was merely skimming the topics! It's not easy to get them to breed, but it's certainly not impossible.

To get back on topic, William seems to have the right idea on what to do with them, although I would recommend not medicating them unnecessarily until you know they actually have a disease - simply because that stresses fish as well.