PDA

View Full Version : My Five banded barbs picture

lahlumdi
03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I picked these up at a shop in Germany and didn't know anything about them. They told me they would be peace loving with my tetras... but when I looked them up, I was afraid I had gotten Tiger Barbs. Everything about it seemed like they should be incompatible...

But they were relatively happy in my tank and everyone seemed to like the newcomers just fine. Finally after some research, I discovered a name for them. They are Five Banded Barbs. They are peaceful. At our LFS they are kept with Rasporas.

They are usually quite lively. I have them with some Rummy Nose Tetras right now. Both of them can really swim fast in my tank at times... But in this photo the Five banded barbs are taking a break. The red dots you see are the noses of the rummy noses... in motion.

Just curious if anyone else has them. Haven't heard much about them on this forum.

Nautilus291
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I wish they had those around here. Ive never heard of them before.

OscarFan
03-27-2008, 10:57 PM
They look kind of Like TB's but without the orange.

Lady Hobbs
03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Look enough like a tiger to be a tiger. More stripes maybe?

fins_n_fur
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Great looking fish...how are you liking your rummy noses? I'm planning on getting some on Saturday as my schooling/shoaling fish for my community tank.

William
03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
They are similar to tigers but are not tigers.

lahlumdi love your picture. Would you mind me using it in an upcoming five band barb article?

Ryuu
03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
those look awesome like mini tigers but not exatly

jbeining75
03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Great pic of the shoal.....

lahlumdi
03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Yes William, feel free to use this photo! I can't wait to read your article! I really like these fish. They don't have the compatibility issues that the Tiger Barb has.

The place I found it was Badman's Tropical Fish Gallery.
http://tropicalfishgallery.com/species-gallery/gallery_cyprinid.html

It has the scientific name: Barbus pentazona
I got more information when I googled it from PetEduction.com
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1943&articleid=2582

Mine are never nippy. I am told in the articles I read that they are peace loving non-nippy types. When I first got them, they first tried to shoal with the Rummy Noses who were at first terrified. After a while they just shoaled in the back together.

Then I thought I might have a paracite problem. Still not sure about that. I've had the female who has been rather sluggish and full, and I thought I saw a red squiggly thing come out about 2 months ago. She still seems rather sluggish to me. I will probably follow up with garlic as the illness forum has suggested.

Then about a week ago I removed the Betta and the neons to another tank and the Five Banded barbs went into a depression. They all hid and sulked. I thought they might be sick. But now I bought 2 more of their kind, and brought the tank numbers back up again and they are back to their usual playful selves, running around the tank. They play with each other, but don't nip. They love to spend lots of time in my tall grass as well as darting behind the castle and under the arch. I'll attach a full view of the tank here. I've noticed they even swim in tandam sometimes leisurely now with the Rummy Noses occasionally and the Rummy Noses don't mind. Gotten used to them in the tank, I guess.

I am so pleased.

BTW, my tank background is a photo of the banks of the Rhine River. Just think it is a cool thing to do with my tank.

William
03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks. I'll send you a PM when I have added the article to the site. Likely in about a week.

lahlumdi
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
BTW - Fins_n-Fur... I love the Rummy Noses. They say they are not for beginners but I perceive you are not that! They love to school. They are fast. Their noses are bright red when they are happy. Their tail looks like a checkerboard.

But... I think best of all for me, when their noses turn white, it tells me something is off in my tank. The temp or the pH, or nitrates are off. Or they are stressed. If I take a quick look at my tank and their noses are red like rudolf (and maybe this is wayyyyy to simple) I assume all is well and do my usual tank maintenance without a lot of worry. Of course for about 3 hours after changing the water their noses lose brightness because the water is cooler for a time... and the stress of the gravel siphon. Stuff like that. But they are a great internal indicator of tank health.

fins_n_fur
03-28-2008, 09:49 AM
No, I'm a beginner too which why I asked how you liked them. I'll do some more research tonight and tomorrow before I head off to the LFS. Thanks for your input!

snipers_den
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
great looking fish you have there...nice pics...

untitled
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi, i have just acquired a number of fish with a fish tank and have been told some of them are female rosy barbs but on finding this thread i feel they look more like the five banded barbs. Do they generally look similar??

Jo