PDA

View Full Version : Red Ludwigia

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
So I have been thinking of putting some red ludwigia in my 33g tank but I don't know if it will grow or not.
I have 2 27w fluorescent bulbs. giving my 1.6wpg. I can do C02. I would just do the DYI one though.
I have roughly 1.5-2.5" of gravel.

About the C02. If I had a whisper HOB running in the tank. With the rippling of the surface...that would let the C02 escape wouldn't it??

Tolley
03-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah the surface aggitation removes the co2.

jbeining75
03-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Any surface aggitation is going to add oxygen and deplete the co2 levels. Try some fert spikes in the gravel by the plant and use flourish or flourapride. Something to give it added nutrients. If it is an established tank there should also be some goodies in the gravel it can live on... The lighting is a little weak to grow but maybe the gravel with fert it will. I am growing Amazon swords no problem on a light with one 10000k daylight and a 6700k plant bulb. It is 2 X 27 I believe, so around 1 wpg. My swords are working. What type of lights are on there t5 10000k or 6700k corallife plantmax bulbs would work great. The diy co2 would definetely help. I am thinking of doing one myself for my 55 gallon with my texas cichlid. Good luck Squirt

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I have 6400k on each bulb.

But if the surface is going to be moved around...there wouldn't be any point in having the C02 would there???

EDIT - I also have a sword plant in there that is growing great, crypts (sp?), and some Hygrophilia Polysperma.

Tolley
03-23-2008, 02:48 PM
it would only help the plants a bit. You'd see the big difference if you stop using the hob.

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 02:49 PM
You know, I have ludwigia and no matter what I have managed to kill, the ludwigia does the best. It just goes and goes. It gets a bit leggy so I cut off the top several inches, stick it back in the substrate and that takes right off too.

I have 130 watt on my 55 gallon and it does good and 56 on my 20 gallon and that does well there too. It will do OK in less light like I have but just not get as red. You want to trim it back, tho, as that makes it fuller.

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
it would only help the plants a bit. You'd see the big difference if you stop using the hob.
yeah..I have been told many times I should switch to canister. I will eventually. lol.

Hobbs...thats good to hear. I have grown it before. I had it in my 10g with like 2wpg and it grew amazing. I think I will get some and just try and see how it goes.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I think it would be just fine. As for the CO2 issue, the surface aggitation will gas off CO2, but it is doing that now. You will seem a small benefit to adding it simply because it's not going to gas it all off. It's really up to you if you use it or not, it's not a required thing. You might try using Excel as a carbon suppliment instead.

Tolley
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Go for it. You can still find lots of plants that will thrive in your lighting without the co2. Good Luck!

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I will get some and see how it does. I am having pretty good luck with the plants that I have now in there. I will just make a DIY C02. It should give the plants some more C02.
Thanks for the info.

EDIT - how much should I make?? C02?? Like how big of a bottle for a 33g tank??

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Good point on using the Excel from ILMGB. That will give them a boost and a good growth spurt. (Just don't use it with vals.)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Squirt, the amount of CO2 is actaully dependent on the Sugar to Yeast ratio, not the size of the bottle. The size of the bottle just lets you make a mixture that will last longer. If you want to increase the amount of CO2 going in then you increase the amount of yeast you use.

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Good point on using the Excel from ILMGB. That will give them a boost and a good growth spurt. (Just don't use it with vals.)
Is this (http://www.petsolutions.com/Flourish-Excel+I10104560+C10302.aspx) the stuff your talking about??? Why can't you use it with Vals??

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Squirt, the amount of CO2 is actaully dependent on the Sugar to Yeast ratio, not the size of the bottle. The size of the bottle just lets you make a mixture that will last longer. If you want to increase the amount of CO2 going in then you increase the amount of yeast you use.
oh. Ok. Well in that case then. How much yeas to sugar ratio should I make??
The recipe I used last time was:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
one-quarter teaspoon yeast
I forget how much water I used.

What recipe should I do?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Excell has been widely reported to cause Vals to melt.

If that recipe worked well for you last time then go ahead and use it again, you may want to cut the baking soda back to about 3/4 tsp though since that is what controls the reaction. If you cut it back it will allow for faster production of CO2 as well.

jbeining75
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I agree any added co2 will be beneficial to the plants.... The surface aggitation now as goldbarb said is depleting any co2 in the tank...

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Excell has been widely reported to cause Vals to melt.

If that recipe worked well for you last time then go ahead and use it again, you may want to cut the baking soda back to about 3/4 tsp though since that is what controls the reaction. If you cut it back it will allow for faster production of CO2 as well.
should I triple everything though?? I used that in my 10g.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 03:09 PM
You can triple, but all that will do is tripple the length of time the batch will last. What you are after is increased amount, so if you triple everything but the baking soda (only maybe double that) then you get increased production.

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 03:10 PM
You can triple, but all that will do is tripple the length of time the batch will last. What you are after is increased amount, so if you triple everything but the baking soda (only maybe double that) then you get increased production.
alright. Thanks. thumbs2:

EDIT - does it matter how much water I use??? like how much hot and cold water should I use? I forget how to mix it all together.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 03:15 PM
You want to end up with the water at room temperature to activate the yeast. If you get it too hot you will kill it and if you get it too cold it will stay dormant until it warms up enough.

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
You want to end up with the water at room temperature to activate the yeast. If you get it too hot you will kill it and if you get it too cold it will stay dormant until it warms up enough.
ok. So just use warm water to get everything all mixed in? Aren't I supposed to mix the sugar and baking soda together and then the yeast?? or no?

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
If you end up using the CO2, be very careful the bubbler is not near the filter, bubbler or anything like that. I had mine too near the filter uplift tube and it literally sucked the liquid out of the CO2 bottle, filled my tank up and killed my fish in the matter of a few hours.

I am using the CO2 now in my 55 gallon, one one each end of the tank, with a ratio of 3/4 t. per 2 cups sugar in a 2 liter bottle. I'm using a bit more yeast than I normally would because I only have the two bubblers. But, my earlier experience with it scared me and I am really careful with it now and make sure nothing can pull the mixture out!

My mixture will literally be bubbling in 5 minutes but it really can be a PITA with air leaks at times around the top, line plugging up on occassion, etc. I would go with Excel in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the vals in my tank.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
yeah, definitely keep it away from the intake to the filter. What I actually did with min in my 2.5gal planted tank was to run an airstone fromt eh bottle into the filter. I put the airstone under all the media and it worked wonders.

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 03:23 PM
If you end up using the CO2, be very careful the bubbler in not near the filter, bubbler or anything like that. I had mine too near the filter uplift tube and it literally sucked the liquid out of the CO2 bottle, filled my tank up and killed my fish in the matter of a few hours.

I am using the CO2 now in my 55 gallon, one one each end of the tank, with a ratio of 3/4 t. per 2 cups sugar in a 2 liter bottle. I'm using a bit more yeast than I normally would because I only have the two bubblers. But, my earlier experience with it scared me and I am really careful with it now and make sure nothing can pull the mixture out!

My mixture will literally be bubbling in 5 minutes but it really can be a PITA with air leaks at times around the top, line plugging up on occassion, etc. I would go with Excel in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the vals in my tank.
ok. I will go witht he ratio that you have for my 33g tank and see how that goes. I might only use 1 bottle though. I can use 2 though if that will help put more in the water. I will go and make some here shortly and put on the tank.

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I mix my water and sugar in HOT water and let it just sit until lukewarm before adding the yeast. Or just mix up half the bottle with HOT water and sugar then fill up rest with cold to get to the lukewarm stage.

One of my bottles sit on a window sill. At night, it bubbles very slow as it's cold out yet. During the day when the sun hits the bottle, it bubbles like crazy.

squirt_12
03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I mix my water and sugar in HOT water and let it just sit until lukewarm before adding the yeast. Or just mix up half the bottle with HOT water and sugar then fill up rest with cold to get to the lukewarm stage.

One of my bottles sit on a window sill. At night, it bubbles very slow as it's cold out yet. During the day when the sun hits the bottle, it bubbles like crazy.
Thanks Hobbs. I just made a batch for my 10g. I am trying plants in it again. I made the batch for it first as I wanted to make sure I did it right. It isn't bubbling yet but I will know soon. I filled it about 1/4 - 1/2 with hot water then added cold to get lukewarm before adding the yeast.

Ok so this might sound dumb but...what would you say to be the right temp for plants?? I heard that they should be in cooler water?? like 75F?

Lady Hobbs
03-24-2008, 10:34 PM
My plants come second and my fish first. Whatever my fish do best in is what my plants get.

Hope you get your bubbles soon. If it doesn't take off my tomorrow, you might have a pin hole leak where the line meets the top.

squirt_12
03-24-2008, 10:52 PM
The bubbles have started to come. They came about an hour after mixing the batch. I forgot to tell ya'll. But they are coming and it seems to be working good.