PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide..

Mvjnz
03-21-2008, 04:32 AM
I can't decide what kind of catfish to get.. I have a 90 litre tank with 3 pakistani loaches, 3 mollies, molly fry, 3 swordtails and a RTBS. I think ottos are really cute, but I'd have to get 5 of them, which might look crowded, and if I ever fall in love with some other fish I can't get it cuz I filled my tank with ottos. They also sound very delicate and need constant supply of veggies. BN on the other hand is ugly, but I'd only need one... But then I'd prolly also have to get a piece of driftwood which would mess up my pH..

What do to?

jbeining75
03-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Otos since the tank is around 25 gallons or so. I wouldn't do the bn pleco.

Mvjnz
03-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Any other catfish suitable for my tank that can be kept alone?

Ellen4God
03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Otos really aren't that bad. I have two in my 10g tank, and they do a GREAT job. Maybe you can start out with 3 to see how they do? And I didn't have any troubles with mine being sensitive at all. They went into the tank fine (of course I acclimated them over a good long period of time), and I haven't had any problems with them since. I don't give them many fruits/veggies - although I need to start. I have given them an orange, which they seemed to enjoy.

If you have good water quality, and you acclimate them appropriately, then they should be fine in your tank. They really are a joy to have!! I love mine.

If you really are completely against them, then you could consider a rubber lip pleco, although I'm not sure if your tank is really large enough for one (somebody else can answer this better than I can right now). From my understanding, they stay on the smaller side as do BN plecos - and they're also a little more pleasing to the eye as they don't have "hairs" on their noses. :)

This is just another idea! I happen to like the look of rubber lip plecos. I did a quick search, and found various opinions on the tank size they would need, so you may be okay with your 25 gallon. Just do lots of research if you want to consider them.

Good luck!!

MandyL
03-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Sorry for the late reply! If you are really not sold on any particular catfish, how about just a mystery snail? It will clean up algae and leftover food.

angelcakes
03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
how about a bristlenose they stay small eat lots of algea:19:

siymdapolio
03-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Well done angelcakes! I totally agree with you they will eat all algea in your tank and then love algea wafers :D good luck! :thumb:

Ryuu
03-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Ellen is totally right, go with her disision

Mvjnz
03-28-2008, 02:37 AM
I have a mystery snail which used to be in the community tank, but the loaches constantly picked on it so it now has it's own tank. Ottos are adorable but they sound too delicate for me. I can't be bothered feeding veggies 3 times a day. There's not that much algae in there... So I'll just go for the bristlenose. Thanks:)

sailor
03-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Rubber lipped plecos max out at approx 4 inches and are one of the few pleco's that will eat algea for their life cycle. They are in all my tanks. I do treat them occassionaly with blanched zhuccuni and algea wafers.

Mvjnz
03-28-2008, 04:10 AM
I can't find rubber lip plecos when I google them.. what's the scientific name?