PDA

View Full Version : Four line catfish???

ropefishman
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
I have 2 four line catfish when I got them they were about the same size. One became dominate and is now lives in a nice open log. The other umder a cramper stump. The bigger dominate one is now about twice the size of the other. Am I doing somthing wrong? Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks for your help.

angelcakes
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
is this your catfish? try this link to see if its any good

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/4linepimodella.php

ropefishman
03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep, thats the one.

ncbuckeye
04-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Nice, I have the same problem even though I have alot of hiding spot for mine, but one is huge, I never see him eat, but the smaller one who usually staying in sight eat everything it can get it's mouth on.

Crispy
11-23-2008, 08:33 AM
I have a five line catfish (almost the same) and he eats pellets right off the top of the water at almost every feeding. Earthworms are his favorite though. He's a good 8 inches and still growing at a good pace. I'd like to get another one, but he's somewhat of a bully.

angelcakes
11-23-2008, 10:23 AM
crispy, through my experince with them they normally are best kept in a couple,but territorial status does happen,are you using floater pellets or ones that drop straight to the bottom?

have 2 four line catfish when I got them they were about the same size. One became dominate and is now lives in a nice open log. The other umder a cramper stump. The bigger dominate one is now about twice the size of the other. Am I doing somthing wrong? Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks for your help.
now we know what fish this is normal behaviour,you are doing nothing wrong,it maybe a case of you have male and female,or one is growing faster than the other,i have the same thing with my oscars charlies huge compared to bubba and they were the same size when i brought both,

Northernguy
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
crispy, through my experince with them they normally are best kept in a couple,but territorial status does happen,are you using floater pellets or ones that drop straight to the bottom?

now we know what fish this is normal behaviour,you are doing nothing wrong,it maybe a case of you have male and female,or one is growing faster than the other,i have the same thing with my oscars charlies huge compared to bubba and they were the same size when i brought both,

Lol I agree with angelcakes.Could very well be different sexes and size issues resulting in dominance issues.Just try ang get some food to fall in front of it.
It could also be the food you are using.Try a quality sinking pellet.NLS or Hikari!

Charlie and Bubba are great names !

cer
11-24-2008, 01:26 AM
do you have hiding spots

Crispy
11-24-2008, 04:42 AM
I only have 1 five-lined catfish and he eats off the top at every feeding. He's at least 8 inches and has a ton of places to hide. I think you mixed me up with the guy (ropefishman) asking the question.

angelcakes
11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I only have 1 five-lined catfish and he eats off the top at every feeding. He's at least 8 inches and has a ton of places to hide. I think you mixed me up with the guy (ropefishman) asking the question.
crispy,

I'd like to get another one, but he's somewhat of a bully.
this is what you wrote and i meant they get better on in a couple, brought as a couple,so as youve got the one and you would like or thinking about getting another,but as your catfish is a bully then i would advise not thinking/getting another one as yours will bully that to,

Crispy
11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
yeah, I was almost going to put a pictus cat in with him, but my pimelodella is too aggressive and big for a new catfish to be put in.

Crispy
11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
here is a few pics of my 8 inch pimelodella cat (five-lined catfish)

Northernguy
11-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Nice looking cat! Thanks for sharing!:c3:

Crispy
12-05-2008, 09:22 PM
He's quite large and aggressive though. I had a similar sized upsidedown cat in the tank with him and he did not like him one bit. The raphael cat I have only comes out once a month, so he doesn't get picked on too much. I wanted to add some more cats, but alas, he's king and he says "NO WAY".

Northernguy
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
LOL I can see that.It has an attitude by the look of it!

bushwhacker
12-13-2008, 08:08 PM
my 4 line pimedulla, got 2 of these guys both getting over 6" now

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n438/bushwhacker_01/10-25-08001.jpg

Crispy
12-14-2008, 02:11 PM
they're my favorite tropical catfish, but they are predators. And they will eat eggs and fry up no problem. Mine always seems to be active no matter if it's day or night.

EVAN YUNCK
03-06-2009, 07:51 PM
They Are Acting Like That Because Most Speices Of Pimellodi Ar Natrauly Super Agressive Towards Another The Big 1s Dominating If It Starts Beating The Other One Up Seperate Em Asap

Dave66
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Folks,
The catfishes in question are group fish, that is, dozens to hundreds of them stay in loose aggregations in nature, then forage all together. A pair in an aquarium is unnatural for them, and one will almost always dominate the other to its cost. I've personally seen swarms of perhaps thousands of Pim swarming all over leaf litter just after daybreak.

In an aquarium, I'd keep no less than eight of any Pim.

Dave

Crispy
03-06-2009, 08:03 PM
my pim doesn't bother with my 2 pictus cats (I know they're both in the pim family) even though they are tiny compared to him... all other fish he bullies out of his territory.