PDA

View Full Version : Preggie Ghost Shrimp?

Tooch
03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I buy a lot of Ghost Shrimp for my Ray. Typically I'll get about 3 dozen at a time. Occasionally, I'll see one with a big mass of greenish stuff back by the spinnerettes (sp?). I understand that his is where shrimp carry their eggs, correct?

If this is the case, I'd like to maybe remove the preg ones and throw them into a 5gal tank. What would be required to raise some ghost shrimp fry? Would a 5gal and a sponge filter do? What's involved? It would be so much cheaper to get a ghost shrimp hatchery going then buying 3 dozen once a week, at $1.50/4.

Thanks guys!

gem
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes, a cycled 5 gal with a heater and sponge filter would be perfect. You definately want to make sure the tank is fully cycled. Shrimp a very sensitive to poor water quality and won't likely tolerate the spikes. And yes, that is where they carry eggs.

Tooch
03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
What temps are best for a hatchery? Do they need/prefer some moss or something? Substrate or no? fake plants? caves? flat rocks?

Also, how many should I expect from a batch of fry? What do I feed them?

gem
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
78-8o degrees with soft water. Ph about 6.8. substrate and plants either fake or real are fine. A few rocks and plants would probably make them quite comfy. I would go with a small peice of bog wood and some real plants. this way you don't have to worry about a rock changing your ph.

gem
03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
As far as feeding....a sinking algae wafer now and then or sinking shrimp pellets.

Tooch
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Excellent! Thanks! thumbs2:

Algenco
03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
lets hope you have one of the many species sold as ghost shrimp that don't require salt water for the larvae to develop

Tooch
03-17-2008, 04:40 PM
No kidding? The larvae grow up in salt, and then switch to fresh as adults? that's crazy! I'll have to try to find the scientific name for them.

Algenco
03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
there are roughly 27 species sold as "ghost shrimp" most go through a larval stage and require salt

Tooch
03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, I had no clue! I'll be sure to check!

gem
03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Good info and something to look into for me as well. I haven't found that yet in anything I have read. Does that apply to only certain species of ghost shrimp?

Ellen4God
03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Let us know how it goes!! It'll be fun to see the ghost shrimp fry, so pictures are an absolute must!

Good luck with your new endeavor!

Tooch
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Well, crap. The lfs has no idea on what type of Ghost Shrimp they have. The one guy there said to add a tablespoon of salt/gal, and they should do fine. So While I was there, i bought a 10gal tank, a small little sponge filter, and thermometer. I also got a cheap screen top for the tank, since they won't really need the light. I held off on the termometer though, since the cheapest decent one they had there was 30 bucks. They had some for 10, but those were the hang on back king, and I didn't want to blow it out without it being completly submersed.

Anyway, I met my fiance there after work. Since my car is gutted to the bare metel inside withonly a roll cage, she offered to take the tank home for me. Well I was going to put it on her back seat, but she said to just stick it in the hatch on top of her big speaker box. I was skeptical, but figured ok. Needless to say, buy the time she got home, it had 3 huge cracks in it. Thank god it was only $10. I'll go grab a new one today with the heater, and I'll take it home this time.

I checked the tank they keep their ghost shrimp in, and there are a ton of them in there that are preg. Here's hopin! I'll keep you updated!