PDA

View Full Version : GS + Flourish Excel?

xoolooxunny
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I always took good care of my ghost shrimp in my 75g community tank, where they have no predators. It is well planted with no ammonia, no nitrites, and 10-15ppm nitrates. the ph stays between 7.2-7.4 with a temp of 76 degrees F. They always have plenty to eat and breed regularly, so why then, did they start to dies off?

The only thing I have done different before they started dieing off is add seachem flourish excel. Does anybody know if this is the problem?

Algenco
03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I use excel in my cherry tanks without problem, what dechlor are you using? There has been a lot of discussions about unexplained shrimp deaths.
It seems that people using anything except Prime at some point have problems.
It could also be that your water supply might have changed. Water Co. are notorious for doing things to the water without telling anyone

xoolooxunny
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
I use API stress coat, the suggested dosing, but I've always used that and they were very healthy all the time. I've tested for copper as well, and there is none.

How would I go about finding out whether or not my water company changed anything? would they be willing to tell me?

gem
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I was reading something somewhere about ferts and invertabrates. Some fertalizers (Seachem's flourish products included in that list) have copper. Copper is definatley deadly to SW inverts.....and apparently from what I read, FW inverts as well. Dang...I knew I should have copied that link.

Here's a link. Read all the way through. It discussed ferts and which are safer to use.

http://www.planetinverts.com/Invert%20Tank%20Setup.html

xoolooxunny
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
good stuff gem, thanks! Seems like I am supposed to be using Kent Pro Plant. Lots of good information and articles through that link, thanks again!:fish:

gem
03-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah....I just started reading about shrimp today. I'm considering turning my previous 2.5 gal pico reef into a planted shrimp tank as well. I use Flourish in my 55 gal with live plants in it. I found that article very enlightening. makes sense though....inverts in a reef tank will not tolerate copper....only makes sense that freshwater inverts would be the same.