PDA

View Full Version : pleco

Red
03-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Do they eat algae? I know it sounds stupid but i heard that they don't.
thanks..

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Certian ones do. Common Pleco's do, but they aren't super efficient, they're poop machines, and get huge. What size tank? Rubberlip Pleco's and Bristlenose Pleco's both do a good job, and stay small enough for most aquariums. Golden Nugget's are very cool looking and stay small, but don't generally eat alge, rather they prefer driftwood and other meaty type foods, such as shrimp pellets. Royal Pleco's are they same way, only they get large. I seen my grazing on alge once in awhile, though.

Red
03-10-2008, 02:25 AM
yeah.. i was just wondering in general. How big do they rubber lips get?

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:29 AM
It's really hard to generalize Pleco's. Rubberlips get to about 4" full-grown. Because there is such a wide variety of Pleco's out there, just be sure you do your homework (and not at the fish store) before buying.

Red
03-10-2008, 02:35 AM
ha i have learned that no matter what they will have the same fish somewhere at one time or another...
But i got a 40 gallon cube with a ton of algae...

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Well, something else you could consider are a school of oto's. They love alge. With a 40gal, you could probably get 6 or 7, maybe more. Someone else will be able to give you an amount for a tank that size. What other fish are in there? A couple bristlenose or rubberlip would work well also.

Red
03-10-2008, 02:46 AM
yea i could but im getting up there with how many fish i could have in the tank thats why i was thinking of a pleco..
I have
3 red eyed tetras
3 guppies all females
1 shark thing i dont no what it is..
1 gold Gourami
7-9 zebra danio
3 glass fish

Ellen4God
03-10-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a pair of otos in my 10g right now. They're GREAT!! they're such hard workers all the time. Pretty fun to watch them zoom around cleaning things.

I'm not sure how many you could have in a 40g. Here is a website I found about otos that would help you learn more if you decided to get one: http://www.otocinclus.com/

Good luck!!

Tooch
03-10-2008, 02:50 AM
Try to find out what the "shark thing" is, or show us a picture so we can ID it for you. A common "Shark thing" is an Iridescent Shark. Mine is currently about 20", which is way too big for a 40. You may need to start thinkin about a new home for him.

A 40 is too small for Common or Royal Pleco's, but a couple rubberlip Pleco's or a Bristlenose would do well.

Red
03-10-2008, 02:58 AM
I know what that is
when i got it i was just started into fish and i went to a pet store and they said it was in a batch of fish and they didnt no what it is so i got it for a dollar ha
i have had it for bout 6 years and its stayed the say size it about 5 inches.. and
it is nothing common or even in a book... it looks like a fancy minnow.. and i found out that it doesnt like anything that looks like it.

Tooch
03-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Sounds neat! Do you have a pic? I almost guarantee someone on here can identify it for you

Red
03-10-2008, 03:03 AM
i do but my camera is down so i will put it up as soon as possible..
so with that tank list do u think i could have the ottos..

Tooch
03-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Oto's have a very small bioload. You could get away with them. Maybe stick with 4. Once the alge is gone (which it will be before long), be sure to provide high-quality alge wafers for them to feed on, as that is the only thing they eat.

Red
03-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Yea i have my fish tank in a very sunny room... so i have been stuck with cleaning off the algae until i had to do some things this weekend and when i came back i had a ton of algae....
lol
thanks with all the help
i will try to get the picture of the fish and some other ones on for you to see..

Tooch
03-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah, just one of the problems of having too much sun! Well, at least the otos will have pleanty to eat, if that's what you decide to go with!

Ellen4God
03-10-2008, 03:13 AM
If you do get the otos, please read what Dave wrote about feeding them:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=17810