PDA

View Full Version : Breeding BN

Harls
03-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey All!!!
if i can get BN breeding it would be awesome and since they are one of my fav fish would make it even better and the LFS has high demand too so i can get rid of them nicely while making a small profit!
know i am going to do it in the 34G once i get it (see "should i put all my eggs in one basket" in genral aquraium), so that will be my BN brreding spot. i will put around 8 BN in there and see what heppens and i will also stick in some small peacfull fish tha won't eat the fry ( any suggestions? ) tell me would this work and what will i need to do to make it work?
any tips?
Harls_Aussie

Fishalicious
03-06-2008, 09:46 AM
BN - Bristlenose? Just checking thumbs2:

They are very very easy to breed and spawn in almost any set up as long as the male has a 'cave' he can call his own - do a 75% waterchange to let them think it is the rain season and the female will enter his cave to spawn - the eggs hatch after 10 days and the babies eat their yolk sacks for 3-4 days after that they start to graze on algae straight away - if you can make sure you have enough algae.

I would not get more than 1 male - if you have a settled couple that is all you need - 2 males will fight with each other. Best to stick to just a pair.

If you are serious about the breeding I wouldn't have any other fish in the tank

Harls
03-07-2008, 06:18 AM
yeah i was talking about Bristlenose.....
i would have just BN but i thought it would be quite boring unless i put something else in and u know i want a community tank but i want to breed the little beggers

Demi ^_^
03-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Hmm, well u have the 3ft... that can be ur communtiy tank and the 34g can be ur breeding tank :D

Harls
03-07-2008, 06:40 AM
hahaha i want something else in there even if i just put in Bubbles.......

shockshockshad
03-08-2008, 05:31 PM
In a breeding tank you need to only have the fish you are breeding. In your case, 1 male and 1 female bristlenose.

squirt_12
03-08-2008, 05:33 PM
if you REALLY wanted to have something else in the tank you could get a school of marble hatchets. They stay at the surface so they wouldn't bother the Bristlenose and they wouldn't/shouldn't eat the fry.

Harls
03-09-2008, 10:40 AM
yeah... second thoughts take over again!