PDA

View Full Version : do bettas get bored?

susanmaree
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi

I have a colleague who has a betta splendens she bought about 18 months ago - age unknown at time of purchase.

He has been kept in a bowl of approx 12 litre capacity with gravel and one artificial plant. About 4 months ago he started spending the majority of the time lying on the bottom against the side of the bowl. He does come to the surface to eat, but only eats one pellet of betta food a day. He has no signs of illness. Water changes are every 2 weeks and all the water is changed, with water conditioner added to the new water prior to reintroduction of the betta. Although this is NOT ideal, this is the routine he has been undergoing for the past 18 months.

The only thing I could think of was that he is bored - so I suggested replacing the artificial plant with a live one and perhaps giveing him some marbles or other toys. My colleague did replace the plant a couple of days ago and said that he is now spending his time sitting in the top of the new live plant (a bunch of cabomba) and has also been swimming through it.

Also, the bowl was heated during the winter to 24 deg celsius, and although the heater has now been removed it is summer here in Brisbane, Australia, so he definitely won't be cold :)

thoughts and suggestions would be realy welcome here please

thanks

Susan

Lady Hobbs
10-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, if you were to spend your life in a glass box, wouldn't you? LOL I think a lot of fish get bored. Now and then you'll see a fish take off at top speed over nothing and tear around like the house is on fire. Other times just play around and "goof off."

In a small container such as that that houses your betta, I think changing the water more often would be a good thing. The water is very condensed in those small containers.

jnmrcs
10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure but I thought that 12 litre is 3 gallons. So, I don't think it's too small. I got 2 bettas and they are (each one) in tank (if I could say so) smaller than that.

They use to do the same from time to time. Sometimes I show the tanks so they could see each other. Also I gave them frozen blood worms from time to time so they didn't get bored of the food.

betta mom
10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
try putting a little cave in there . betta's love caves . they like places to hide . i feed my betta's 3-4 pellets 2x's a day or i give them betta flakes . i also as a treat give them bloodworm , shrimp , and tubfex worms . i give them a variety of differnt food . i know i woulsn't want to eat the same thing day after day . :22: