PDA

View Full Version : Happy fish...

Treerat
03-02-2008, 06:12 AM
I know I haven't been in the "aquatic arts" as nearly as long as many of you all that are the pros... heck, i bet many of you have been doing this longer than I have been alive... but I know for a fact that the pleco is one of the most abused and neglected fish that "fish-haver's" get for there aquariums. Most are bought in the illusion that all they need is to live is the algae that growns in the tank and these poor fish starve to death. The pleco is one of my favorite kind of fish and I can help but notice that all the pictures of them I see in the galleries show fat, happy, and healthy plecos! Loved by the "fish-keepers" you all are, they are bright-eyed and bristley-nosed. My plecos, 2 anything-but-common common plecos and 2 clown plecos are all bright and healthy and active. They are all the more happy and healthy since I have been reading up on there propper care in posts and articles here within the AC Forum. If they could speak, I am sure they would ask me to thank all those that have donated expert and practical advice on these misunderstood and entirely underappreciated cuties. I spoil mine, you should too.

karbomb
03-02-2008, 06:13 AM
yay happy fish!

jbeining75
03-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Plecos are cool fish... I may throw some in my 55 gallon when I reset it.

cocoa_pleco
03-02-2008, 06:22 AM
yeah, they get abused alot

too many people think they will cure all algae, they wont. they nibble it a tiny bit but other than that they eat flakes, pellets, and frozen food like regular fish

i have a 6" and 10" common pleco in my 90g, and both are happy

cocoa_pleco
03-02-2008, 06:22 AM
double post

Nautilus291
03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes most plecos actually dont even eat algae. I dont have one myself but Its been one of those fish that have been on the back of my mind.

sailor
03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I have put rubber lipped plecos in all my tanks and they are great little algae destroying machines. They do not require driftwood so that is a big reason I put them in all my african tanks. I think none of them get picked on by the cichlids because of their smaller size and they don't compete for their food. When I do treat them the cichlids don't bother with the algae disks and when I put in the zucchini I put it in after lights out. I am looking for another smaller species to put in my 55 gal ram tank.