PDA

View Full Version : walking catfish

razarahman
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
i have an issue with the cats that i have they tend to be very greedy at feeding time. they are supposed to eat from the bottom of the tank and they are nocturnal but mine are crazy it doesnt matter what time i put the food they just come up and eat up everything to the point that the food is visible in there stomach. i can see the shape of the pellets in their stomach. ill post a picture as soon as i can. does anyone know anything about this strange behaviour? and if there is anything i can do?

i was thinking of putting the fish food and blood worms together so that the cats ca go for the worms and the other fish eat the conventional fish food ??

angelcakes
02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
can you describe the cat,is it a rapheal?

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 06:00 PM
its a walking catfish, they are long and tall and in storms they walk on land

sorry, i dont know much about them, though ive seen them before

angelcakes
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
thanks coco,if its the marble(whiteish pinky head and purpleish tail) catfish be careful these can get out the tank secure the tank lid!! i got rid of mine about 3-4 years ago,it was growing at an incredible rate i didnt know at the time what fish it was,and as coco says these can survive on land,without pictures its hard to see what walking catfish you have,thumbs2:

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
heres a pic of one

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/970/55009911.JPG

razarahman
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
its an albino walking catfish ........ it kinda like an eel thin and long, slender body and peachish pinkish colour. its scientifi name is Clarias batrachus google it up youll know excatly what it looks like.

Tooch
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I dunno much about them, as they are illegal where I live

angelcakes
02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
heres another link

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/clarias_batrachus.htm

razarahman
02-29-2008, 06:41 PM
heres a pic of mine with the stuffed stomach.

angelcakes
02-29-2008, 06:52 PM
have you got somewhere for him to hide?thumbs2:

razarahman
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
ya lots of places to hide i have 6 of these and theres a lot of holes and caves in the rocks.

angelcakes
03-01-2008, 08:24 AM
you asked about the eating,if i get what you mean you are going to try and seperate the food? i dont think it would work experince is, it will eat everything in sight!!!thumbs2:

razarahman
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
so what do i do i think some of my fish are not getting enough food cuz the catfish are very fast when it comes to eating food. my angels keep aiming at the food and when they finally go to grab it the catfish has already eaten it.

what im doing now is instead of feeding them once a day im feeding them 4-5 times a day but in small quantity. the same amount of food spread over the whole day instead of once. lets see if it makes a difference.

newt0524
03-07-2008, 01:34 AM
hey

ive got two of those guys and ive learned the best way to feed the other fish in the tank with them, is to move them to another tank. if the other are smaller or slower, they probably will have a tought time getting enough food.

a couple things you can try though.

1. feed the other with the lights fully on. walking catfish are not particularily sensitive to light but they may feed a little slower in bright light.

2. if you have a piece of acrylic, you can try to section the tank at feeding time, kind of locking the clarius in the corner while you feed the others.

unfortunately, these guys will eat just about anything so finding something the clarius won't eat to feed the others is going to be difficult.

good luck and let us know if you find somehting they won't eat.

Billythefish
03-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi people i have 1 albino walking catfish myself and he's a pig to i find the best way 2 feed my other fish is to give em peas carots at the same time i sling in some fish flaks my walking cat fish dont bother with the veg leaving plenty 4 the other fish . Also a tip for u clip a lettus leaf at the surface of your tank walking catfish dont like feeding at the surface! And my angels love soft lettus

razarahman
03-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Hi people i have 1 albino walking catfish myself and he's a pig to i find the best way 2 feed my other fish is to give em peas carots at the same time i sling in some fish flaks my walking cat fish dont bother with the veg leaving plenty 4 the other fish . Also a tip for u clip a lettus leaf at the surface of your tank walking catfish dont like feeding at the surface! And my angels love soft lettus
thanks a lot the lettus thing works and the angels love it . Just one question and that's how much lettus ?I dropped in a leaf yesterday and all the fish had it without the catfish eating it but it took them say around 3 hours more or less to finish it they would eat then go away then some other fish would eat and so on. So how much do I put or should I take it out after sometime. I'm guessing since it doesn't go to the bottom of the tank I can leave it in till its finished

Billythefish
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi i tend to just leave it until its gone! But you only need to do this as a side meal! If your fish dont eat it then thay just aint hungry. Dont leave uneaten lettus in the tank more than 24h. Hope this helps