PDA

View Full Version : Calm after the storm

mariposa
10-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I took back the pictus cat that was mislead to believe would co-exist with my betta. He ended up shredding his tail and chasing him constantly untill I took the betta out. So I took the catfish back to the pet store and brought home some meds for Pedros fins and 2 extra zebra danios. Now I have 3 Danios and 1 Betta. They are getting along well. Pedro doesnt mess with them and they dont mess with Pedro. There is peace in my tank...fianlly!! I'm enjoying them. I want to get a couple of mollys lator. I saw some marble and black mollies I thought were adorable. Im not sure if the marble mollies would draw attention to themselves from the betta I'm hoping not b/c they are so pretty. But I'm not going to add anything else for a while. I want to tank to get established more before adding an extra load. So how does this sound:
1 betta
3 Zebra Danios
2 Mollies (black or marble) ??? That is six fish but they are all small and I dont want to just get one Molly to be alone. I rather fish have a buddy of their own species...all except Pedro. I know I'll be pushing the limit but I think it could work. Any feed back on that? I see that some ppl here are pushing the inch of fish, gal of tank thing also. Just wondering how its working out?

Lady Hobbs
10-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I would put no more fish in that tank until it has cycled. I know you're excited about getting fish but it will be very hard on them if the ammonia climbs too much...and it will. You are working with a small amount of water and it will cycle fine with just a few fish. Beta's are not good as a cycling fish. I think when your ammonia begans to climb, I'd put him back in his vase for now.

Mollies are not my favorite fish. I had 3 and had some much aggression between them it was unreal. I had 2 males and a female so one male kept the other male trapped at all times. I moved the female away from them and it was the same way. :(

mariposa
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow really? Mollys? Go figure I have always read they would be peaceful, but ya know how men can be. :P Yea I dont want to add anything else for a while. I just want to make sure I can get this cycling done before anything else. Its already crossed my mind if this goes well I'm going to have to get a bigger tank. Who knew that fish keeping could get as addictive as hermit crabs. Took my son to get some shoes the other day and found some lovely boots I would kill to have but realized Id already spent my limit on fish stuff. lol. Ooopsie! :D

kimmers318
10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
I have to agree with Hobbs....leave the addition of fish alone until you are DONE cycling....adding fish will just make things harder all the way around.
As for mollies...haven't really kept them, but one thing that you might want to consider is that they are livebearers and will reproduce at an alarming rate...one of the reasons I haven't gone with them. After learning that quick fact with my daughter's platy I didn't wish to be overrun with fry....the platies give us plenty. I believe guppies are much the same way as far as reproducing goes.
And please correct me if I am wrong, and also, don't think I am trying to sound mean here....but in my experiences of people trying to "overstock" a tank you usually see certain scenarios
1) They aren't experienced and didn't realize they were making that mistake, so they try to rectify it or ask for advice on how to keep the fish healthy, which of course means more work and closely watching water parameters and fish for any indicators of trouble.
2)They are slightly over the limit with different dwellers....some bottom dwellers, some mid dwellers and then top dwellers. Fish don't always stay in their "dwelling area", but the fact that they mostly inhabit a certain area of the tank keeps them from running into each other all of the time, causing a feeling of stress to the fish.
3)They overstock, because, hey, alot of people do it....and then end up in forums asking for advice to deal with the diseases their fish end up with.

I am in no means an expert on fish...these are just observations from the many hours I have spent here, on other forums browsing, and just researching in general. As you have found, you can learn alot by researching, so learn all you can about any future species you want to keep, how to keep the tank in tip top shape, and you will end up with a beautiful aqaurium that makes you smile everytime you see it. (Not to mention the warm fuzzy feeling when someone else sees it and comments on it :))