PDA

View Full Version : My Pakistani loach

PUNISHER VETTE
02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I just got a tiny Pakistani loach that i hope is going to take care of my snail problem. It's super tiny now so i don't know how much good he's doing yet. I do have tons of baby snails that are almost impossible to see. Do they eat snail eggs too? i have tons of those egg sacks around the tank that i wish he'd go after.

I see that they are nocturnal but mine is constantly out when my lights are on happily swimming around searching trough things....

So when can i expect this little guy to do anything?

Adrian
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I always heard that yoyo's have a ferocious appetite for snails. I don't know much about Pakistani loaches.

For your sake, I hope he starts eating them soon! Good luck

angelcakes
02-25-2008, 09:31 PM
clown loaches are also good for snails :19: the reason its out in the day is because its young when it starts getting bigger it will hide more,it will possibly take a few more weeks yet before it starts eating snails but i could be wrong

bluekrissyspikes
02-26-2008, 12:46 AM
That's not necessarily true. i have one pakistani loach who i separated from the others and he is ALWAYS out and has been for over a year. he won't eat the snail eggs though, you should pick those out if you don't want too many babies. you can also use lettuce to trick snails and pick them out of the tank. he should get nice and fat feasting on baby snails. :c7:

PUNISHER VETTE
02-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah i had some iceberg lettuce in there over night once and it didn't do a thing so i was stumped. I don't care how long he takes as long as he eventually gets the job done.

I've got one more plant coming sometime this week that should hopefully finish off my planted tank and it would be nice to eradicate the snails after that.

I say that but i almost bet i'll keep getting plants until i can't fit anymore in my tank.

The guy at the LFS also said that after he eats all the snails it would be good if i bought him back or he might start eating my tetras.

cocoa_pleco
02-26-2008, 05:35 AM
ive had extremely good success with banded loaches and snails

AquaBANG
02-26-2008, 05:38 AM
are'nt yoyo loaches the same as pakistani loaches?

krisisdog
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I always heard that yoyo's have a ferocious appetite for snails. I don't know much about Pakistani loaches.

lol same thing.

they're very good at eating snails, and will eat the eggs, if they work out its food.

Mvjnz
03-19-2008, 09:12 AM

For your sake, I hope he starts eating them soon! Good luck

Pakistani and yoyo's are the same species, just different names:) They are excellent snail hunters, I have 3. But you really need more than one. They need to be at least 3 together to feel safe. If you only have one, it will be unhappy, might turn its aggression on other fish in the tank instead of keeping it amongst its own kinds, and it might be very shy, and you'll never see it.

Ghostknife
03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I have 2 Pakistani loaches. Both fairly young I think, but I am still to see them eat the snails. I think they are doing the job at night, as I havent seen as many as I have before.

They are good fun little things, & are always generally out and about. I have to get a hiding place for the second one though, as they do not seem to like to share. They do mess around with each other though.