PDA

View Full Version : Will rubber mouth starve?

Litespeed
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
When we put our rubber mouth in our main tank, the first day he/she went wild and ate just about all the algae in the tank. The next day he/she just stayed hidden all day. I checked a couple of times just to make sure he/she hadn't died. Last night I put in a piece of zucchini but it wasn't touched. I will try putting in an algae tablet tonight in a plastic medicine bottle (so the pictus catfish won't get it) and see if it is eaten. Do they eat everyday?

Tooch
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Lite, they are mostly nocturnal fish. He is probably eating at night, after lights out. Be sure to leave the lights on during the day (8-10 hrs is the norm) to allow small amounts of alge to grow in the tank. That will be his food at night. Don't worry too much about it!

Litespeed
02-22-2008, 09:11 PM
We tried feeding an algae tablet, but it wasn't touched by the rubber mouth. We are going to try and prop up a zucchini slice (blanched) against the glass tonight to see if he will eat that. Is there anything else we can provide to help him eat. He has just about eaten himself out of house and home as far as the algae on the tank goes.