PDA

View Full Version : do u think i should get it when i have the setup or wait

freestyle-king/C.A.T
02-20-2008, 07:06 AM
i have been working twords getting an arrowana for 2 years now and have been doing all the reserch i can. i currently have one 15 gallon tank but im getting another one soon. i only have 500$ to work with so cant get to fancy. our local pet store has a 3 inch silver arowana for sale a 24$. should i get the fish after the tank has goen through its nitrogen cycle?

AquaBANG
02-20-2008, 07:14 AM
arowanas get really huge, it will out grow the 15G tank in a matter of months.

karbomb
02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
^^^^^ word

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2008, 08:05 AM
If you have been wanting and studying about this fish for 2 years, why would you even consider getting it much less putting it in a 15 gallon.

karbomb
02-20-2008, 08:08 AM
If you have been wanting and studying about this fish for 2 years, why would you even consider getting it much less putting it in a 15 gallon.
i was thinking the same thing. i had barely herd of arrowana's till 2 months ago and i know they get HUGE and need a lot of space.
where have you been doing your research? i would recommend doing it here over a LFS.

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2008, 08:22 AM
They are not for most fish tanks for sure. Maybe a 500 gallon.

NickFish
02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
I'd wait it out.
$500 is not enough to work with maybe you could buy the stand for that much.

At no point in an arowanas life should they be kept in a 15 gallon. For the first few months a 55 gallon would suffice but in a year or so they will need to be moved to at least a 350 gallon. 400 or 500G would be better though.

They are not beginner fish. Maybe once you have experience taking care of larger tanks, like a 75G community or 100G cichlid tank, you could try working with one of these monsters.

Save up and wait patiently, that's what I'm doing! Don't buy one until you have everything it will need, and a tank it can live in long term.

jbeining75
02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
i have been working twords getting an arrowana for 2 years now and have been doing all the reserch i can. i currently have one 15 gallon tank but im getting another one soon. i only have 500$ to work with so cant get to fancy. our local pet store has a 3 inch silver arowana for sale a 24$. should i get the fish after the tank has goen through its nitrogen cycle?

That $500 won't get you a tank for the arrowana. .... You would need a 220 just to keep it happy......That is minimum.... He'd end up in a 500 gallon acyrlic by the time you were done..... They are great looking fish but just get far to big....

Tooch
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
This is one of those threads where it's best to listen to the community, not venture off and do what you want anyway...

The Arowana will get huge. Probably at least twice as long as your tank. Unless it's going to be a NASCAR fish and just swim in a little circle all day, this is not the fish for you. It's also not a good fish to buy now and plan on getting a larger tank later for. This fish gets big, fast. He'd be ok in your 15 gal for a matter of months before needing a larger tank.

Do the right thing for both you and your fish, and you'll both be much happier! :thumb:

NickFish
02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
If you got one of the jardini or black arowanas you could have a 250 or 300 gallon long-term, with good filtration. They stay about a foot smaller, although they are harder to find.
I save up at least $2000 for these fish, but it really varies depending on where you live. Most of the nicer arowanas are over $100, and i wouldn't pay under that for one, when they are young they tend not to last as long.

smaug
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I know what this is!Someone is late getting in on shockshocks worse tank ideas thread she started last week!Maybe a MOD could move it to that thread.
This poster really had me going for awile,good one you got me:c7:

smaug
02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
please ignore the above post,Im sorry.Seriously 500 bucks will not make it for an arrowana tank.They are not really a fish for a novice,for 500 you could set up a very nice amazon theme tank with some nice fish and plants in the 55 gal range.Good luck

Fishguy2727
02-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Your best bet may be to make an indoor pond if you can. That would get you the most gallons per dollar.

Gallon recommendations are not good because they ignore the dimensions, which is what dictates the minimum for an arowana. Minimum tank size for an arowana is 4' wide, about 8' long, and about 2' high.

freestyle-king/C.A.T
02-21-2008, 02:32 AM
thanks for stopping me before i bought it any idias on what i should work with untill im ready?

Halelorf
02-21-2008, 03:20 AM
I would go with maybe a tetra tank or some livebearers to get your feet wet and help you get some experience with fish. Or since you are interested in a big carnivore get at minimum a 55gallon tank with good filtration, most likely 70 gallon tank would be better, and get a single oscar and have a go with that. The thing you have to remember is that a oscar can grow to a foot or more in length, but will give you a large carnivorous fish that you wanted with a arowana with less requirements. Whatever you do, do not buy a fish on impulse. Look for fish you would like and then do tons of research on it to find out how large of a tank it will need, what kind of filtration would be needed, the temperment of the fish, food it needs, etc. After you find one you would like and you look into it, make a thread on the forum and people can give advice from experience on keeping the fish and let you know what to expect. Just remember no rushing into something, have patience and take it slow.

garman
04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I just brought my 14 inch arowana back to the store. It wasn't due to it's size that I gave it back, it was it's temperment. They are INREDIBLY stupid and unfriendly fish. It will never be one to calm down and mellow out. Mine was nasty and a bully to my other fish, and I have Florida gars I had it with in a 100 gallon planted tank. I plan to get a 300 gallon for them soon, but though the arowana was beautiful, in a way, it will get to you after a while if you're wanting your fish to seem happy.

Mine was never happy, always looked down (that's the way they are) and seemed bummed out all the time. Like I said, I had it in a 100 gallon tank too.

My advice is to not buy an arowana, but get another kind of fish that won't get way over a foot long in a year. You will need at the very least a 100 gallon tank and better yet a 200-300 gallon.

There is the possible option that if your aquarium store will take it back when it gets too big you could go that way, but they probably won't.

NickFish
04-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I just brought my 14 inch arowana back to the store. It wasn't due to it's size that I gave it back, it was it's temperment. They are INREDIBLY stupid and unfriendly fish. It will never be one to calm down and mellow out. Mine was nasty and a bully to my other fish, and I have Florida gars I had it with in a 100 gallon planted tank. I plan to get a 300 gallon for them soon, but though the arowana was beautiful, in a way, it will get to you after a while if you're wanting your fish to seem happy.

Mine was never happy, always looked down (that's the way they are) and seemed bummed out all the time. Like I said, I had it in a 100 gallon tank too.

My advice is to not buy an arowana, but get another kind of fish that won't get way over a foot long in a year. You will need at the very least a 100 gallon tank and better yet a 200-300 gallon.

There is the possible option that if your aquarium store will take it back when it gets too big you could go that way, but they probably won't.

More than 100, for a full grown silver and tank mates you'll need at least 400 gallons but preferably more. It's all about length.

In your tank size, of course the arowana will be a little agressive, all fish are when in smaller tanks. However, arowana are smart fish and they all have personalities. Watch the arowana you want to buy for a few days before purchase, make sure you are buying a peaceful-ish one, ask the employee to throw some food in the tank, ask him to put a net in the tank (see if he goes after it or darts away). They are best kept individually though, but larger tank mates are usually tolerated.
Not a purchase to make lightly, that is for sure.

donvichu
05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
:laugh1blue: For a silver arowana you need atleast a 350 gallon tank as it grows upto 45 inches, for asian and australian arowana you need a 180 gallon tank for a full fledged fish,for beginners silver arowana and pearl arowana are suggested and both range around the same $25 mark