PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the game forum

William
02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
On popular demand the game forum no longer count towards your post count. All other forums still increase your post count and help you earn awards.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Thank You. That was one very popular request.

crackatinny
02-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks William:thumb:

Tolley
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks William!!! I'm off to play the games.

jbeining75
02-11-2008, 12:01 AM
cool so now we can play games and not be battered for padding post counts.... hooray!!!!!!!!

crackatinny
02-11-2008, 12:19 AM
cool so now we can play games and not be battered for padding post counts.... hooray!!!!!!!!

Not so long back, we did have a couple of members that done just this, it made it unfair on members who played the games as a fun time to fill in the lapse times in the forum, as well as those who gave a lot of advice and there postcounts did not rise so quickly.

As you say, now anyone can play the games, without either getting battered for it or feeling bad within themselves for gaining points in this way:thumb:

squirt_12
02-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks William!!!!thumbs2:

Tigerbarb
02-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Aww... Now I can't play games only to boost post counts lol
Anyway, it's great to hear that people with spare time and no "real" topics to post in won't get their post counts and points raised for nothing.

jbeining75
02-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Not so long back, we did have a couple of members that done just this, it made it unfair on members who played the games as a fun time to fill in the lapse times in the forum, as well as those who gave a lot of advice and there postcounts did not rise so quickly.

As you say, now anyone can play the games, without either getting battered for it or feeling bad within themselves for gaining points in this way:thumb:

No I completely agree with all the mods and William on this decision. In fact I applaud this decision and support it completely. When I look at advice I'm looking at rep points and posts. This is a fish forum so game posts shouldn't count....... This is an awesome change. I don't play for the points I play for the fun when the forum is slow and oh yeah thanks to Lady Hobbs.... lmao...... I'm addicted to the lottery so I stay up now until 2:30am lol.....

If I may can I make another suggestion... I have done neither of these and I absolutely will never but you can buy posts and reputation points...... Is this ever gonna go away. I could win the lottery and spend points to get me through 1500 posts and three medals........ is this fair??????? Is there any chance of ridding the forum of those to..... Just a suggestion, I don't want to rock the boat.........

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2008, 03:54 AM
i like the +50 post count but the buy reputation thing is useless, it gives you a tiny bit of reputation and only lasts for a month

jbeining75
02-11-2008, 04:02 AM
But why should a member be able to buy posts....... It shows their activity and dedication to the forum... You should have to work for them not just buy them....... 10,000 points or so buys you 500 posts, thats crazy... some people might take a month to get that.........

crackatinny
02-11-2008, 06:59 AM
No I completely agree with all the mods and William on this decision. In fact I applaud this decision and support it completely. When I look at advice I'm looking at rep points and posts. This is a fish forum so game posts shouldn't count....... This is an awesome change. I don't play for the points I play for the fun when the forum is slow and oh yeah thanks to Lady Hobbs.... lmao...... I'm addicted to the lottery so I stay up now until 2:30am lol.....

If I may can I make another suggestion... I have done neither of these and I absolutely will never but you can buy posts and reputation points...... Is this ever gonna go away. I could win the lottery and spend points to get me through 1500 posts and three medals........ is this fair??????? Is there any chance of ridding the forum of those to..... Just a suggestion, I don't want to rock the boat.........

You are not rocking the boat, you have a good point, and I agree, I will talk to the other mods and William about this, and see if it can be rectified.

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2008, 07:23 AM
As I just mentioned to crackatinny, the cost of rep points is 25,000 points for just a few rep points and they cancel out again in 30 days. I know of no one who would ever spend that amount of points for something that only will disappear? So, they have 3 green boxes one month and only 2 the following month. I mean, who cares one way or another how many green boxes someone has?

On the post counts that you purchase....that's 10,000 for 50 posts.......not 500. I guess if someone was rich and was desperate for an award they could spend thousands and thousands of points for a few posts but they would be the loser in the long run.

I personally think too much emphasis is put on the awards, period. I would rather see 5 good informational posts from someone a day rather than just a bunch of nonsense to up posts counts. Awards are something we all accomplish for work done here over a period of time. It's not just a big race.

Counting posts for the game thread had to go. Some there never left that section of the forum at all and really, this is a fish forum and not a game forum.

jbeining75
02-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I completely agree Hobbs............. My point is only is it fair for someone to buy them and others to earn them..... I am all abouthelping others through my posts.... I could have a million posts I don't care as long as I know I'm helping..... It's just when I look at information alot of the times I'm going off previous experience with them and believe it or not those little green boxes matter because it shows the community backs your opinions and supports what you are posting....... I'd rather take info off a guy with 50 posts and 200 rep points than someone with 50 rep points and 2000 posts.....in the l;ong run though I still do research myself....

shalafi04
02-11-2008, 07:31 AM
yay good call

crackatinny
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
As I just mentioned to crackatinny, the cost of rep points is 25,000 points for just a few rep points and they cancel out again in 30 days. I know of no one who would ever spend that amount of points for something that only will disappear? So, they have 3 green boxes one month and only 2 the following month. I mean, who cares one way or another how many green boxes someone has?

On the post counts that you purchase....that's 10,000 for 50 posts.......not 500. I guess if someone was rich and was desperate for an award they could spend thousands and thousands of points for a few posts but they would be the loser in the long run.

I personally think too much emphasis is put on the awards, period. I would rather see 5 good informational posts from someone a day rather than just a bunch of nonsense to up posts counts. Awards are something we all accomplish for work done here over a period of time. It's not just a big race.

Counting posts for the game thread had to go. Some there never left that section of the forum at all and really, this is a fish forum and not a game forum.

With odds like this, I would say anyone who used this feature is only really cheating themselves anyway:ezpi_wink1:

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2008, 03:13 PM
its actually 1000 points for 50 posts, a bit worth it but not by much

Rue
02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Excellent!

I think this is win-win for everyone except the deliberate point padders!

fishfanatic33
02-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Will. Get rid of the buy opptions,please

digital3
02-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Cool. Good call. I do take rep very seriously. It's a good gauge for taking the advice of certain members more seriously if there is a "difference of opinion."

To me the post count shows the individual's commitment to the forum by their participation in helping us all master our favorite hobby. I don't think playing games really is beneficial for that, but at the same time I believe the games have their place too, by allowing members to bond more and to establish relationships in our community.

fishfanatic33
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree. But bought posts are misleading. They make you think the person is maor dedicated than they really are