PDA

View Full Version : how do you breed rosy barbs?

AquaBANG
02-08-2008, 05:16 AM
I have 2 females and a male rosy in my 20 G tank, my 30 G is almost cylced and I was thinking if rosys are easy to breed, if I could go on with a little experiment.

Dave66
02-09-2008, 02:49 AM
I have 2 females and a male rosy in my 20 G tank, my 30 G is almost cylced and I was thinking if rosys are easy to breed, if I could go on with a little experiment.

Rosy Barbs are one of the easiest Barbs to breed, sudhirbits. They are egg scatterers that prefer to spawn over fine-leaved plants like Myrophyllium or similar. You condition the breeders by feeding then live food four or five times a week. You'll be able to see the females fill with eggs. When the male turns a glittering red, he's ready to go. He'll favor one of the females.
Put the pair into the breeding tank with the room dark and tank lights off. They usually breed at dawn as soon as its light, so you'll have to be on your toes watching them, as they'll eat the eggs soon as they are laid, so you'd have to remove them soon as they finish spawning.
The fry are clear, very tiny and look like splinters of glass. They'll be free swimming in a day or so. They need the tiniest of foods; infusoria (Paramecium mainly) and green water (with Euglena). You need to feed them four or five times a day and change 50 percent of the water daily. Keep their little bellies bulging.
It'll be at least 10 days before they can take larger rotifers or baby brine shrimp.
Its some work to raise a brood of egg layers, but if you feed and change the water like I advised you should get 30 or 40 youngsters. The breeding tank should be bare bottomed so you can siphon out any debris. The babies need good food and clean conditions to thrive.

Dave

toddnbecka
02-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Or you could try it the easier way. Move the rosy's into an established, well-planted tank to spawn, move them back out right after they do the deed, and allow the fry to grow on the micro-critters living among the plants.
I came by 2 dwarf neon rainbows that way, apparently there were a couple eggs on some plants that came along with a shipment of cherry shrimp. When I unpacked the box, I noticed a tiny fish fry in the bag. About a week or so later, another one turned up in the tank. It was quite a while before I was able to determine what they were, but the point is they survived and grew just fine w/out any special feeding or care aside from regular maintenance..

AquaBANG
02-12-2008, 07:23 AM
thanks dave. I will first establish a growout/breeding tank and them proceed with your mthodology. thanks a lot.
One question I have - how do you know the end of spawning - to take the pair out?

Dave66
02-12-2008, 07:53 AM
thanks dave. I will first establish a growout/breeding tank and them proceed with your mthodology. thanks a lot.
One question I have - how do you know the end of spawning - to take the pair out?

Simple, sudhirbits. When the female has slimmed down and the male isn't paying attention to her anymore and both are looking for eggs to eat. That's why you have to watch them all the time, to catch them exactly when they finish to save the most eggs as possible.

Dave

AquaBANG
02-12-2008, 08:23 AM
okay will do that... I think I need to be swift to spot it and shift the pair out.

relsoft
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM

I used to breed rosy's and my method doesn't involve much work. All you have to do is put the about 6 pairs in a 40g(or greater) tank with enough plants (put some stones on your hydrilla so that they sink and let the barbs do their thing. After about a month or so, you'll get a school of them. Just dont do a water change on the first month as you may accidentally siphon off eggs or fries.

BTW, I don't even take the parents out of the tank.

Same goes for tigers.

Wild Turkey
03-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Try putting a thin layer of marbles down in ur breeder tank, this will allow fry to slip down into the empty spaces between the marbles and make it hard for the fish to eat them. This should save many fry especially if ur trying it for the first time and may not know "exactly" when to remove the pair. Also for water changes try putting a fine net over one end of the hose and you should save many fry as well, if ur using a container for water changes, maybe use the net as a strainer?

Ryuu
03-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Turkey makes a great point, Also java moss really does the trick, put some of that down and nothing will get to the fry, they are easy to breed tho, let them go and they will do there thing