PDA

View Full Version : Tiger barb suddenly dies

Litespeed
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
We were watching our fish this morning and suddenly one of the male tiger barbs flips over upside down, then starts a very jerky motion like it's have a seizure. About 30 seconds later it's dead. We just did a 25% water change two days ago, that we do weekly. I immediately did all the water test and nothing is wrong, I even checked the PH. We still have a carbon pad in our filter (2nd week) because we are removing the rest of the Aquari-Sol. Could this just be an unexplained death?

Tolley
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
did he have any wounds of any sort, or look beaten up? you have 4 males right? do they ever fight?

Blue Ram
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Have you noticed any lack of appitie or anything unusal?

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
nah the carbon wouldn't have caused it either he had an internal parasite or didn't eat..... I would say chlorine but the whole tank woulda shoot it. He may have been beaten up and stressed and finally it ended..... sorry about your loss though....

Litespeed
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I didn't see any wounds on the fish and this morning he had eaten with the rest of the fish. I feel like I'm being a bad parent. We have only had our tank set up since early November and we have lost 7 fish already. We try and make sure that everything is perfect for them, temperature, clean water etc. Then we go into some hole in the wall fish store and it looks like their tanks have never been cleaned, very frustrating.

Levi
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
did you test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 09:42 PM
yeah its frustrating sometimes I have seen people be very diligent in their fish keeping and lose fish, then I have seen people just let the tank go and not lose anything, its crazy..... hopefully everything gets settled......

Litespeed
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Just before we left for Palm Springs Friday morning, we lost our last female Tiger Barb. At least this weekend we will take out the carbon filter and start our quarantine tank so we can get more barbs, a red tailed shark and another bristlenose or something similar. I hate seeing our tank look so empty with so few fish left.

Pr0eve
02-11-2008, 12:46 AM
I had one of my black skirts do this, it did the same thing as your tiger, but I think he had a internal parasite, that spore one, cant remember the name of it...

I wish you luck