PDA

View Full Version : im having a loach emergency!!!!

shalafi04
02-05-2008, 05:57 AM
are they supposed to be psychotic!!!! I have had them for all of 3 hours, and they are turning the tank upside down. they are running up and down the glass.... totally freaking out the cories, who are now (all 6) also running up and down the glass with them. They have the rummy noses swimming around crazy!

Are they this disturbing all the time??
Do they need more hiding places???
Are they just nocturnal???

HELP!

my parameters are good
Ammonia 0
nitrates 5
nitrites .25
ph 7.6

im not sure whats going on. everything was so calm before they got here!!!

karbomb
02-05-2008, 06:01 AM
they do need lots of hiding places.
do you have some?
they are sensitive as well, do your water parameters all check out?
they are nocturnal.
and if you just got them they may be freaking out a bit. turn off the lights and let them adjust.

Arkie
02-05-2008, 06:01 AM
mine do that too, not all day every day but still quite often lol. loaches are weird fish

shalafi04
02-05-2008, 06:04 AM
i have moderate planting, and a small hut built from a coconut shell. My parameters are zeroing out now that i have removed my fancy goldfish from this tank into there permanent home. Ill turn the light out and hope they chill a bit

karbomb
02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
they should be ok once they get settled. in the future i would only recommend getting fish, especially more then one if your tank parameters are good.

shalafi04
02-05-2008, 06:18 AM
awesome. thanks. :) Hopefully they will feel better in the morning. I'll go cave shopping for them once the fish store opens.

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Loaches are a riot. They are playing and they are very happy with their new home. For some reason mine go a bit nutsy at night time too. They can get pretty wound up and love to swim up and down the glass and also in the bubbler.

shalafi04
02-05-2008, 06:30 AM
i was so afraid that something was wrong with them. I thought it was my water parameters, so i ran and grabbed my test kit. everything was okay though. I'm just glad that they are just crazy and not in danger. they have the whole tank bouncing off the walls!

I just hope they aren't going to stress everyone else out.

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2008, 06:34 AM
coconut houses are the favorite hideout of all my loach species, i'd recommend spending a dollar on a coconut rather than going out and spending a small fourtune on caves @ lps. loaches tend to be fairly active in groups. the bigger the group the crazier they'll act. some species are pretty hyperactive. i have cories in with mine and they've adjusted well. make sure to keep up on the water changes, they are sensitive to 'debris' and will get infections. enjoy!

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2008, 06:37 AM
also, do you know what species you have? here is an excellent resource for information on loach species www.loaches.com

shalafi04
02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
oh. yeah they are clown loaches. I only got 2. so they are not much of a school. but maybe once i go beyond the 40g. i will invest in a couple more clowns

Colin
02-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I think you will find on the loaches.com site that it suggests that your clowns are stressed due to the move, nothing unusual, but make sure you have plenty of hidy holes for them to hide, even just small cracks in rocks will do, you will be supprised what they get into. I have found that plants dont make hidy holes, they like something solid.
Mine took maybe a week to calm down.
My big one wasnt seen for a month or so but she eventually came out of her cave.
Now maybe 3 months on all is well, still doing clown loach things and being bonkers but clearly happy.

You have nothing to worry about except for there pending size.

Suggestion, you could do with more, maybe just 3 more, all my reading suggests 5 or 6 min, they do get big, check this out http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=14908

maybe time to take em back or go with it and know your gonna need a big tank. Happy clowning, they are great fun.

Tigerbarb
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
i think it has to do with hiding places. for loaches, drift wood makes a reat hiding place.

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 03:28 PM
yeah hook them up with some driftwood and rock forms, leave the lights off, they'll adjust.......

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah, you will definitely need a bigger tank. i'd say a min of 50g to start off with clown loaches. they'll grow pretty quickly to about 3" if you change the water lots and feed some real foods(shrimp, veggies) if they are kept in a smaller tank, they'll grow much more slowely and become stunted, severely decreasing their life expectancy. they are amazingly interesting to keep though. perhaps if their requirements are too much, you could check out some smaller species of loach like yo-yo's, kubs or skunks.

shalafi04
02-05-2008, 06:22 PM
they are in a 40g for now. but dont stress out everyone, they are tiny right now. and I did my research. And will be buying a much bigger tank within the year to properly care for their growing size. I am not a big fan on returning fish, so when i slip up and buy something that is going to turn into something the size of a small whale, i spend the big bucks to house it properly. no stress.

How many do you think it is okay to have in a 40g tank???

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2008, 12:50 AM
good to hear you did the research. 40g is not too bad for a year or so. if the filtration is good then you can keep quite a few. they don't mind being a bit 'crowded' provided the filtration is ample and water changes are large and frequent. when my loaches were in the 50g, i had 6 clowns, 4 yo-yo's and 4 zebras. they did well for a year and a bit, and they all grew quite a lot. i'd recomend at least 6 but 8 will probably be more fun to watch.

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
i just wanted to add that the # you can add is also going to depend on how many cories and tetra's are in there.

shalafi04
02-07-2008, 01:45 AM
i have 6 cories and 6 tetra. I was thinking of keeping my loach # at 4 max. I may decide to move my cories to the 29g tall upstairs if I see its stressing the filter system too much. :)

fishfanatic33
02-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Loaches are the nuts!!! Mine swim like crazy around the tank,through the bubble wall,and dive through Java moss for no apparent reason

seamajor
02-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I have 7 clown loaches their either going nuts or hiding....They also look after eachother..I lopve them! Mine's survived 3 major moves and survived over 6 years

bluekrissyspikes
02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
i wouldn't go for any less than 5 clown loaches if you want them to stay happy and active.

Colin
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I have 7 clown loaches their either going nuts or hiding....They also look after eachother..I lopve them! Mine's survived 3 major moves and survived over 6 years

Interesting you say that "They also look after each other". I introduced a 3/4" clown to my tank the other week. After a day of so I notices 3 tiger barbs take an intrest and started sniffing at the little fella. Immedietley 3 large clowns came from the other end of the tank and muscled straight in. The barbs dispersed and the little fella just kept pottering around. They do look after each other thumbs2: except for feeding time lol