PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Molt

Tolley
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
ok so i found a shrimp molt in my tank, kinda scary ( i thought one had died ) lol. I left it in there casue i read its good source of calcium. anyway how often do amano shrimp molt? and is jus cause they're growing, happy, sad or what?

thanks

toddnbecka
02-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Shrimp are like insects, they have to shed the exoskeleton so they can grow. Unlike insects though, they will also molt in response to changes in their environment or other stressful conditions.

Tolley
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
k i dont think they're stressed - they ar always happily searching through this and that.

They are fairly new though.. maybe 3 weeks could that be it??

Tooch
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
From what I understand, they grow fast when young... So expect alot of this goin on!

Fishalicious
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Growing young shrimp will molt every 2-3 weeks adults on the other hand will molt every 1-2 months - it is part of shrimp life and females molt more as they molt everytime they are getting ready to breed so it is hard to say how often exactely.

I always add some cold water to the tank now and again as it helps the shrimp molt easier

Tolley
02-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks evryone!! :thumb:

jbeining75
02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
yup its common man in newly growing shrimp they'll molt like twice a month when they start they will eat up the molt though... kinda disguisting but they will....

jensickfish
02-21-2008, 05:50 AM
My shrimp seen to hide for a day or so after they molt so don't be suprised id you can't find them.

karbomb
02-21-2008, 05:54 AM
i have a singapore wood shrimp and one day i woke up and he was bright red and not eating or moving. (he is usually brown or blue)
and i almost freaked out, but then there was this huge molt about an inch from him. i took it out of the water cos he is a filter feeder and can't eat it. but my ghosties molt every few weeks