PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Livebearer?

Setsuna
09-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey all. I went to my LFS today to pick up some new plants for my tank. The lady there (Julie) showed me some new fish she had been sent from their supplier. The only name of the fish was 'Leopard Livebearer'.

There are 30 of them, 10 males and 20 females. The males are about an inch long (2.5cms), while the females are two inches (5cms).

They look like guppy-sized dalmation mollies. Has anyone heard of 'midget' mollies? I dont think they would be a hybrid of a guppy and a molly as all 30 of the livebearers had the same pattern, all males the same size and all females the same size.

I tried to take a photo of them, but as my sister inlaws digital camera is a cheapie, they all turned out as black smudges.

They are silver with irregular black spots all over their bodies.

Any idea what they are? I'd say the males are sexually mature as they all had fully developed gonopodiums (spelling?) and the small male I bought has been trying to get it on with my female guppies.

kimmers318
09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, should be interesting to hear what comes up....haven't seen any leopard livebearers yet! I have seen dalmation mollies, but they were regular sized mollies.

Setsuna
09-20-2006, 03:28 PM
It'd be cute if they bred, even though I'm clueless as to what species he is.

William
09-20-2006, 10:01 PM
hmmm this sounds familiar. It si on the tip of my tounge but.......
hopefully it'll come to me.

Lady Hobbs
09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Leopard danio?

Setsuna
09-21-2006, 02:46 AM
No, its not a Leopard danio. The unknown fish has large irregular spots... perhaps, black patches would describe it better. It also has a gonopodium so (I'm assuming) it must be a livebearer of some sort.

Setsuna
09-21-2006, 02:50 AM
I think I have found it. Phalloceros caudomaculatus. It looks very like it. http://64.95.130.5/images/species/Phcau_u0.jpg

Here (in Australia) its called a spotted/speckled mosquito fish or a dusky millions fish (dusky guppy).