PDA

View Full Version : nutrient's for amazon s.

Enreche
02-03-2008, 06:39 AM
i bought this plant nutrient called "Flora pride" by "tetra plant"

before i bought it, i just let my amazon s. thrive on there own.

i hear that they gtow really slow, but i dissagree. mine exploded with at least 5 more big leafs and several daughter plants in WEEKS.

the new leaves and daughter palnts are really flimsy, and look yellowish. i suspected its a lack of iron, so i bought this firtilizer stuff.

it says that its a "fast acting leaf absorption"
do amazon s. absorb iron through there leafs or roots? or bolth?:help:

NickFish
02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I think they absorb iron through their roots. Use eco-complete or fertilizer spikes for that. I use Seachem's Flourish for all my plants and the occasional fert spike.

Lady Hobbs
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Good for you. I really like swords but I have awful looking ones. I envy you!

smaug
02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I have used that product,yes they absorb through there leaves but mostly by the roots.To get your best growth use seachme flourish tabs,they fert the whole substrate or if you have just a few plants you can use them individually.

jbeining75
02-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Amazon swords react well to laerite products.... they thrive on iron but can be over fertilized.... They are mainly root ferts but do pull in ferts through leafs. Amazons are generally slow growers unless you snip them. Trimming the plant encourages growth....

AABatteries
02-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Amazon swords react well to laerite products.... they thrive on iron but can be over fertilized.... They are mainly root ferts but do pull in ferts through leafs. Amazons are generally slow growers unless you snip them. Trimming the plant encourages growth....

Sorry to just butt into this thread, but I just got some Flourish Tabs for my amazon, I'm wondering how long will it be before it starts to take effect? Also do you trim off whole leaves if they are pale and have brown spots, or just the brown around the edges?

Adrian
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry to just butt into this thread, but I just got some Flourish Tabs for my amazon, I'm wondering how long will it be before it starts to take effect? Also do you trim off whole leaves if they are pale and have brown spots, or just the brown around the edges?

Generally, when a plant turns brown, it is best to trim it all the way off. As the leaf will eventually die off. To promote growth, it is always best to keep the dead or dying foliage off the plant. This tells the plant to start sending out new leafs to make up for the lost leaf. As with nature, when some part of a plant is injured, the plant quits growing per se, to heal the wounded part of the plant. It will expend its energy on repair, versus new growth, literally halting the plants ability to flourish.

Just a suggestion.

Algenco
02-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Although swords are heavy root feeders they do just fine with nutrients absorbed through the leaves. I know of an experiment where all the roots were removed from a sword and it thrived with only water column ferts.
They are iron hogs! I dose iron twice per week

Rue
02-23-2008, 12:14 AM
LOL...first I read the title and got all excited thinking we had another parrot owner!!! :1luvu:

AABatteries
02-23-2008, 01:21 AM
@ Algenco

I got some Flourish Tabs I'm going to replace at the soonest time 3 months since it says 3-4 months per tab.

Algenco
02-23-2008, 02:05 AM
@ Algenco

I got some Flourish Tabs I'm going to replace at the soonest time 3 months since it says 3-4 months per tab.

get a bottle of flousish iron and watch them take off.
Better to pull the leaves of than trim, grasp near the base and wiggle side to side, they should come off without too much trouble

AABatteries
02-23-2008, 04:20 AM
Okay cause I was wodnering how you use scissors underwater without ruining them. But don't Amazon Swords need iron in the substrate?

Algenco
02-23-2008, 04:43 AM
they need iron, where they get it doesn't really matter.

NickFish
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I give them seachem's flourish tabs for iron.