PDA

View Full Version : Female Tiger Barb

Litespeed
02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
We have 4 male tiger barbs and only 1 female barb. All the males are active and eating well. The female is eating but not active, just kind of hangs around, sometimes hiding behind a rock. Should I be concerned? No physical things wrong as far as I can tell.

Fishalicious
02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey if I were the only female in a room of men I would be hiding out as well.. tiger barbs like to breed and can be quite rough in doing so.. maybe the lady is trying to relax a little and hide from the randy buggers...

Pretty sure if you got some more females that could share her attention she would be willing to 'party' more :ezpi_wink1:

gm72
02-01-2008, 09:15 PM
The female is stressed. Ideally the ratio of males to females should be in the ballpark of 2 or, preferably, 1:3 (one male for every 3 females). Most fish prefer such a ratio. Without such a ratio, fighting among the males is much more likely.

Litespeed
02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks! We were thinking we should probably get A couple more females to even things out. Unfortunately we will have to wait several weeks until we can take the carbon out of our main tank and start the sponge filter to use in the quarantine tank. HANG IN THERE LITTLE LADY -- HELP IS COMING!:1luvu:

jbeining75
02-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah alot of fish are monogamis and prefer alot of female partners. If there are to many males they will fight over the female alot of the times in turn killing the female...

taybarbs
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
hello every body i need help i really want to breed tiger barbs I've got 3 tiger and 3 green barbs but witch is male and witch is female and when do i put the female in to the breeding tank? anytime or do i wait for her to fill up with eggs first then put her in the breeding tank or just put her in there anytime and then feed her with live food and wait her to fill with eggs and then put the male in with her after 3=4 days. is this correct plz help