PDA

View Full Version : betta splendens

stubbytheplecostomus
09-13-2006, 01:57 AM
if a male betta has one of the different types of fins, like twin tailled or what the local pet store calls crown tails (which look like the have long spikey tails) will they need a female that came from parents with this trait, will the male pass it on, or will you end up with about half and half? i can get crowned tail bettas but all the females are the same.

William
09-13-2006, 03:45 AM
It will pass the trait on if you breed him with a crowntail female. A part of the fry will be crowtails if you use a regular female.

stubbytheplecostomus
09-13-2006, 01:31 PM
thats what i thought, you just can't find crowntail females at stores, i don't really like veil tail, i might just order a halfmoon or rosetail pair from aquabid, i want to breed bettas becuase i love anabantoids but veil tails are pretty much "meh" when selling them at fish auctions, i want to spend my time breeding fish that people don't see that often.

kdce
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Just to let you know, my local Wal-Mart had about 6 CT female the other day. First time I have ever seen a CT female in person. They were so pretty, but with all my other betta, I couldn't get one.
I don't know if this was a 1 time thing or what but I am going to check again when I go back.

William
09-20-2006, 02:11 AM
who knows. but i think you would be able to find higher quality fish at alocal breeder.