PDA

View Full Version : Account Non-activity

sailor
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
This is 1 for the Mods,

I just had a look through the members list and noticed there are accounts there that have been there for ages (yr+) that have never made a post or 1 or 2 posts and then never to be heard from again. Is there any amout of time where an account would be deleated because of non activity. Maybe send a pm or something to that member and if not answered in a specific amount of time suspend the account. Send another pm if not answered then deleat the account all together. Then place all if any points into the lottery. Most people if they are going away for any length of time, say a military member or someone moving to another country 99% of the time usually posts this information. I know I did when I was in the Navy and was going away on a deployment etc. I don't know if it takes any extra time or effort by the Mods or web space to continue with these accounts but would this free any of that up.

Just a thought

Sailor

shalafi04
01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
that considered, there are a lot of profiles that have been gone longer than any deployment. Which run what 18months at there worst, 7 at the best. I agree with Sailor. We need to clean our tank *teehee* :)

MeganL3985
01-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Probably a lot of work, would definitely need a patient person for that job. lol

shalafi04
01-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Probably a lot of work, would definitely need a patient person for that job. lol

by all means, if you need a volunteer. I am a stay at home mom with time on my hands :)

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2008, 12:27 AM
The Mods complain about the same thing the members complain about and nothing seems to get us anywhere. I have griped about that list of 12000 + members forever. And it's amazing because William has had the forum for 4 years but many of those people have been around for YEARS. Figure that one out!

MeganL3985
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
by all means, if you need a volunteer. I am a stay at home mom with time on my hands :)

Same here, but that would probably have to be a mod or an admin job, dealing with the members account area.

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
yep, its a mods/administrators job.

i agree, i cant figure out why some people dont even post at all

country_boy454
01-29-2008, 01:04 AM
The way I would go about doing it is to email the account holder and let them know that due to recent prolonged inactivity your account will be deleted. Give them a certain amount of time to reply. Say a week. If no replies than can the account! Just my two cents!

MeganL3985
01-29-2008, 01:17 AM
i agree, i cant figure out why some people dont even post at all

Might be that they ask a question, once answered, don't feel the need to come back. I don't understand it either.....just suggesting a reason.

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2008, 01:47 AM
I thought of the same thing, emailing and update their accounts but that's a no go as well since you can register on a fictitious email account. Something else the mods have been wanting is real, registered accounts so people can't join under 10 names.

One of the reasons the member list is so long as because every tom, dick and harry that offered up spam went on the members list. That's why you see so many with only 1 post.

crackatinny
01-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Don't forget you have to sign up to access the free ebook, a lot would sign up just for that.

And as Hobbs said, we have been working on trying to get William to do it for a while, but with forum updates lately, he has been busy.

Cocoa, you are half right, the members list is Williams cup of tea, thats one miracle us mods can't fix, if he decides to do it, it is an Amin area only. :wink2:

Incredulous_Ed
01-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Why not just leave them? I left the forum for several months and came back later. If I found my account was deleted, I wouldnt have come back.

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2008, 02:50 AM
You can always sign up again with another User Name. They are talking about accounts that have been here for years with no posts or only one.

Blue Ram
02-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Its weird because why join if you only want to make one post. Maybe for the E-book?

shalafi04
02-02-2008, 03:11 AM
i originally signed up for the ebook, but than i realized that you all know alot more than the book so I started posting regularly.

jbeining75
02-02-2008, 04:34 AM
It would be nice to dump all the extra weight as far as I can see everyday members we are looking at less than 100... most of the extra weight are probably people who want to ask a question so they join to ask and then they are gone....

blu
02-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Don't forget you have to sign up to access the free ebook, a lot would sign up just for that.

Do you have to be logged in to download it though? I Downloaded it when I wasnt logged in which would make me think that you could get it without signing up.

I agree that some accounts that have been inactive for yrs should be deleated or atleast the spam accounts but only if this is something that william has time for..Im sure he has other things to do that keep him pretty busy.

fishfanatic33
02-07-2008, 12:42 AM
I also joined for the e-book then realized this was the best forum I've been on so I started posting

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Its weird because why join if you only want to make one post. Maybe for the E-book?

ebook or to ask a setup question... I have talked to so many people I haven't seen back in the past couple weeks......

Treerat
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Have a purge scheduled for all the members who are inactive or have one or no posts.

fishfanatic33
02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Like people that havent been on for like a year or more

Treerat
02-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Like people that havent been on for like a year or more
I'm just saying its up to the powers'-that-be to set the perameters of the purge. I'd set a minimum number of posts and 6 months. Im just a goldfish ;)

fishfanatic33
02-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Agreed. Mods?

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 06:36 AM
it's really not the mods its almost upto William as he deals with accounts......

cocoa_pleco
02-07-2008, 02:41 PM
yeah, only william can do it

Tooch
02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
My brother is named William. Maybe he can come in and clean house ;-)

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I'd just like to see a more accurate account of what we have active..........

Incredulous_Ed
02-08-2008, 04:30 AM
My brother is named William. Maybe he can come in and clean house ;-)
I have a brother named William too!

seamajor
02-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I was just poking around and lookig for fish id....but so far it's been the friendliest and most accessable forum on fish i've found. Maybe an inactivity period of a year or something would be reasonable perhaps with a holding period of some months where people could reactivate their membership...many people travel or have wierd rosters at work that extend over months or go overseas. I've been waiting a while ( over a week) to get access to a local forum......don't loose access to your great reputation... ebook is one thing...the friendy responses another..people will look back:c12:

fishfanatic33
02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Agreed!!!!!

William
02-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Well time for me to enter this thread I think.
I have made it so that you no longer need to register to download the ebook. I will see how this effect the forum and the decide whether to revert to the old system and leave it as it is know.

the reason that I allow fake emails is that some people don't wan't to give out their true email and I still want them to be able to be a part of the forum. I know that this sometimes have given the mod team some grief with multiple accounts. I will soon reveal a new function that will help solve this problem (or atleast lessen it) without having to change the email settings.

Regarding purging the user DB. I don't really understand the problem with having them there. I just like some other people like to find my account intact even if there has been years and I only made one post. But if someone can make me see the problem with having them there I might consider doing a purge.

sailor
02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't know if these accounts take up any space like band width or anything like that. I just thought it might make any forum maintenance a bit easier. If you got a couple of volunteers, I am volunterring my services, If you need someone to give you a hand. What if we went through the members list, looking at the ones with one or zero posts in like a years time frame. Send them an email stating that it has been noticed that there has been little or no activity with your account at AC since you joined. Then something like ...for this community forum to grow and prosper its nice to see participation from it's members. Then ask them if they would like to continue with thier account, yes or no. Any nill replies give a 2 week grace then out they go. If yes great, if no then delete the account. All replies sent to your account. It would not surprise me there are a lot of those accounts whose email addresses are not active or working anymore.

William
02-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Sending out an email like that every now and again is not a bad idea.

The script can remove inactive accounts with a click of a button so thts not hard but thye don't consume bandwith and all inactive accounts take less than a 5 mb of space so thats not a problem. The one problem i can see is if people reads the member list.