PDA

View Full Version : plecos goin blind

StarBelliedSneetch
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
i just came in possesion of 7 inche or so common pleco, and i just read the other day that some one got one that was already blind. ive noticed some white spots on my plecos eyes that may or may not have already been there. can anyone tell me if its common for them to go blind or what makes it happen. thank you

Tooch
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure about them going blind or not, but I know that my common pleco has a spot on each of his eyes. The spots tho match the camoflauge of his skin, so I just assumed that it carried over.

StarBelliedSneetch
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
i didnt even think of that thanks

angelcakes
01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
hello,ive not heard of a plec going blind,ive got a mammoth plec who has had this before,could be a camoflarge spot as said in above post but if you are really worried i tried melafix just as a precaution and that seemed to work:4:

StarBelliedSneetch
01-28-2008, 04:11 PM
to be completly honest im not really worried about, he/she is the biggest thing in the tank and armored so hes safe and ive never heard of a blind fish have problems moving or feeding, it was more couriosity

Tooch
01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Actually, this brings something to mind. Different fish, possibly same problem. I've read before that poor water quality will attack Piranha's eyes and "eat" them away. Cara was in charge of water changes for them when they were in the 40 gal (as I had care of the 150gal and 30 gal). Sometimes she would let the water changes slip for a couple weeks. I've told her about this, and she didn't listen.

Eventually, it started to happen. A couple of the Piranha's eyes were starting to turn milkey. I figured it was time for me to step in, and did a large water change. I then did several small water changes over the next couple days. Within a couple days, the milkiness actually peeled off. I treated with melefix for a couple of days, and they were good as new. And Cara learned her lesson, and stays on top of the changes lol.

If this is kinda what it sounds like, you may want to treat and check your water parameters.

Like I said, I just thought of this off the top of my head. I know my Pleco has camo spots on his eyes, one on each, and it's a greenish/brown color. He's fine though. If it's a milky clouding or something like that, check your water.

My Pleco is about 14"

StarBelliedSneetch
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
no its not any milkyness or cloudyness just cammo i guess i just never thought it

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2008, 04:25 PM
i noticed that with my common pleco. he was 4" and in my 90g, and the oscar, pacu, severum, BP, GT, JD, noone bothered him, but one of the smaller fish would pick on him and he had that white on his eye