PDA

View Full Version : Khuli Loaches!

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Hello all!

My tank is going through its cycle and 1 type of fish I would like to keep when its finished is the Khuli Loach :) I want to get 4, do you think that is a good number? Will I see them often, or will they always be hiding?

I have a great piece of driftwood, which has a small cave in the side where they could hide and my subtrate is (I think it is) 5ml gravel. I am quite excited of getting some :D

Answers appreciated!

Harls
01-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah why not just watch the Kissers!!

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, I'll watch them too, But it would be cool to see the Loaches aswell =) I think yours are adorable - I love how they stick their heads out from under the driftwood!

Arkie
01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
i have three kuhlis, i see mine nearly every night actually. well two of the anyways, the biggest one likes to be a bit more secretive. i love them, they are so cute. i only have the stripey coloured ones though, next time i see the brown ones im grabbing some lol

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I personally rather the striped ones =) But the browny-black ones are cute too <3 Do they school or something?

Arkie
01-25-2008, 10:28 AM
my two smaller ones swim against the glass together, so cute lol. the biggest one is "too grown-up for that sort of carry on" lol and its still small anyways, silly loaches:1luvu:

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 10:42 AM
LOL! Oh well, he's missing out, the little ones sound like their having a grand ol' time! How long have you had them?

Harls
01-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, I'll watch them too, But it would be cool to see the Loaches aswell =) I think yours are adorable - I love how they stick their heads out from under the driftwood!
i meant the kissers will prob eat them !!!!

Arkie
01-25-2008, 10:50 AM
ive had the big one for geez, easy 6 months, i thought he must have passed away some months back as i hadnt seen him for so long, then 3 weeks ago i nearly squealed as there in the corner of the tank he was swimming as though he hadnt been missing at all, so i went out and got the other two as i thought he might have been lonely. nope not lonely just rude lol but i got more to watch so im happy in the end. :thumb:

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I have heaps of hiding spots planned for them! Like I said, my Dad made a nifty small cave with one of the big rocks and the driftwood - only a small Cory or a Loach would fit happily in it :) Also, we are going to our LFS again tomorrow and we will hopefully be getting our little ornaments and plants =)

Also, Khulis are pretty quick, if they are in the open and a Kisser is curious, it can easily rush back into the closest hidey place.

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
ive had the big one for geez, easy 6 months, i thought he must have passed away some months back as i hadnt seen him for so long, then 3 weeks ago i nearly squealed as there in the corner of the tank he was swimming as though he hadnt been missing at all, so i went out and got the other two as i thought he might have been lonely. nope not lonely just rude lol but i got more to watch so im happy in the end. :thumb:

Cool :) The seem to be pretty sneaky things - easily slipping under a rock or other stuff =P I think I'll settle on 4, but I'll do a bit of research first!

Arkie
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
yeah, they are heaps quick, i moved my oscars to my then empty 3 ft tank (i thought i got all my fish out), the oscars where in there for bout 3 months then i moved them to their new 4 ft tank and after doing a thorough clean of the 3 ft tank i found a surviving kuhli in the gravel lol, it survived 2 hungry oscars!!!! thats the big one i was telling you about. gotta love loaches amazing little creatures

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Really? Thats so awsome! Well, I'm pretty confident now that it won't get eaten :) I really want some now lol

I'm looking up some more on Khuli's. 4 seems to be a good number, but it says the more, the more confident and social they are, so i might think of getting some more =P

Arkie
01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
its hard to not love the little kuhli, lol more the merrier so yeah just go with as many as you like. after all the more there are the more chances you have of seeing at least one of them lol.thumbs2: thumbs2: thumbs2:

Harls
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM
well when i suggested it to her she went EWWWW but then i got some and she went AWWW how cute!

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Hehe, a girl can do that sorta thing! It was just like that when I saw the Cories, I was kinda like "Ummm" But now I love them <3 And anyway, the loaches have proved themselves to me and I think their cute :)

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Will the Loaches be able to dig and bury themselves in 5ml gravel?

TowBoater
01-25-2008, 01:06 PM
They like to get under decor and make a burrow under it, as long as they can do that then your fine.

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I also plan to put in alot of Cories, maybe 9. Do you think the Cories will annoy the loaches? And thanx for the answer B)

Arkie
01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
i dont think so, i have mine in seperate tanks though not together so i may be wrong but i reckon the cories and kuhlis would be fine. and yeah on the gravel, thats what i have and they dig through it and under the rocks and plants i have in my tank no worries.

Demi ^_^
01-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Okay, Thanx for the help!

Demi ^_^
01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I just got back from the LFS and I bought ........ a Kuhli Loach! He is only a baby being 1.5" inches and skinny :) I dubbed him 'Freddie' and he's floating in his bag on top of the water to level out the temperature :P Dad keeps saying that the goldfish will eat him, but I really hope and do think he'll hide well :) I am sooooo happy! I'll be getting him some friends soon :D

Demi ^_^
01-27-2008, 06:07 AM
We just let Freddie out of the bag and he swam around the tank! he is now settled under the rock-driftwood cave :) My parents don't like him very much and think "it'll be the last time we see Freddie!" He is actually very curious and active - he has already showed himself a few times and is checking out the driftwood for a suitable hiding spot. The FG's have not bothered him..... yet.

mitcore
01-27-2008, 10:10 AM
thats cool hopefully it will all work out

keep us posted demi

Arkie
01-27-2008, 10:17 AM
good luck with the new kuhli , keep us posted thumbs2:

Demi ^_^
01-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Will do! He's found a small hidey-hole under the driftwood - the FG's won't find him their!

mitcore
01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
as long as he stays happy then he sould be fine

Demi ^_^
01-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, he came out just before - I have no idea why I'm presuming it's a he, lol. He looks so tiny! Like an itty-bitty snake!

xBSD
02-29-2008, 03:02 AM
I have two Kuhli loaches in my tank since three weeks ago. At first they were both extremely shy, always buried in the gravel and only coming out at night; now they can be seen frequently, especially when I feed the tank, rummaging around at the bottom, sucking up whatever flake or bloodworm makes it to the bottom.

They like to coil around in my (real) plants and almost always hang out in shadow spots in the tank. What's funny is that I often see my two Kuhlis huddled close together right under the lone African Dwarf Frog that I have. These three don't mind each other at all.

I just got a medium sized piece of "Malaysian wood" with a hollow "cave" section and within 20 minutes got populated by one of the two Kuhlis, the other one is still wrapped around the base of one of my plants.

Very cool addition to any tank, IMO.

Cheers!
-xBSD