PDA

View Full Version : tinfoil barbs

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2008, 04:06 AM
i went to the store to grab a few fish, and cardinal tetras were on special and i figured i would try a few in my 90g since my oscar and other fish wont harm the tiniest fish. turns out that their tank was full of disease so they werent for sale.

other than that there were 2 tinfoil barbs and they were trying to breed at the store so i grabbed them, is it possible for them to lay eggs?

Dave66
01-25-2008, 04:46 AM
i went to the store to grab a few fish, and cardinal tetras were on special and i figured i would try a few in my 90g since my oscar and other fish wont harm the tiniest fish. turns out that their tank was full of disease so they werent for sale.

other than that there were 2 tinfoil barbs and they were trying to breed at the store so i grabbed them, is it possible for them to lay eggs?

Yes, but Tinfoils get pretty big, about 15 inches, though their fins get more and more colorful as they age. They are also schooling fish, and are egg scatterers. They not only like to breed at the base of plants, they also enjoy nibbling the plant to its ruin.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2008, 04:55 AM
sweet! good to know they'll breed

im still thinking on that 650g so if it does get built they and the pacu would go in it, the barbs are only 3-4" so ive got time

Dave66
01-25-2008, 05:29 AM
sweet! good to know they'll breed

im still thinking on that 650g so if it does get built they and the pacu would go in it, the barbs are only 3-4" so ive got time

LoL the Tinfoils will vie the Pacus for his Vegan eats; they like their veggies too, just not to the same extant.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2008, 05:41 AM
sounds good! looks like the pacu and barbs can have veggie parties.

i used to have the coolest tinfoil barb years ago, i had a large albino clawed frog in his tank and the frog was trained on crickets, and would grab them from the top and run down. after the barb would see the cricket in his mouth and try to rip it out and the frog would literally punch him for it.

Harls
01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
there so cute the barbs
but they get tpoo big :(