PDA

View Full Version : Pictus, how active is it supposed to be?Mine hides...

systemdown
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
How active are Pictus Catfish supposed to be? I bought mine yesterday and for the first 3-4hours it was very active exploring the aquarium then it went into the woodlog house and didn't come out at all. I went to work and came back and it was still in there. I thought it may have died so I tried looking in but I couldn't see it. I tapped the glass to maybe spook it a bit, but nothing. I flashed the light in there, but still couldn't see it. I feared the worst, so I removed the house to look for it. I lifted it and wasn't on the bottom, then suddenly it came out. I was relieved that it was alive. I got it away from the house and put the house back in the spot. 5 minutes later it went in and I haven't seen it since (10hrs), obviously I'm not watching the tank constantly. I haven't seen it eat anything and I can't see inside the house in the corner that it was in without lifting the house itself. Should this worry me? Ph is right between 7.2-7.8, ammonia is in higher safe zone, Nitrate/Nitrite are good, there is no chlorine. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of the house, it's not in the cave but inside the cavity through doors/windows at the very bottom right (only spot I can't see). It's a 55g tank.
http://sulejman.home.comcast.net/~sulejman/aquarium.jpg

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Not only does he have a new home to get used to, catfish are night fish. He'll come out when the tank lights are off.

systemdown
01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Not only does he have a new home to get used to, catfish are night fish. He'll come out when the tank lights are off.

I couldn't help it but I lifted the house again (2nd time) just to make sure it's still alive. And it is alive and looks well. I put the house back in spot and instantly it flew right in through the window. It is totally dark inside where it hangs out. I guess I'll have to turn the lights off and wait for it to come out.

Tooch
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, most catfish are nocturnal. If you turn on a small lamp on the other side of the room and turn the other lights off, you may be able to see him come out and forage for food.

systemdown
01-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Well here's some news: I turned off all the lights for the night and went to bed. This morning I went down to my basement, turned on the room light and peeked into the tank. Swimming around throughout the tank was my Catfish :19: . It didn't take it long before it ran for cover, it took refugee in the cave under the house. Then it moved to its home. I'm glad that it's active, even though I won't be seeing it much....Maybe when I get couple more Pictus' they will venture out during the day.

gm72
01-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Pictus also like company of their own kind.

AABatteries
01-19-2008, 07:57 PM
My pictus is very active all the time, btw I never shut my tank lights off should I?

shockshockshad
01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, do YOU encounter daylight ALL the time in nature? Do you think your fish like to sleep? lol. yes you should turn it off. algae wil lgrow, and the fish like to sllep.

AABatteries
01-20-2008, 02:22 AM
So algea grows when I turn off my light? I have way too much anyways.

tropfish
01-20-2008, 02:41 AM
bison, that's probably why you have so much algea, i would shoot for 8-10 hrs of light each day

gm72
01-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Agreed with the 8 to 10 hours of light per day.

Pr0eve
01-22-2008, 02:08 AM
all my tanks are on a light timer, 10 hr max then poof they go off all by them selfs,, :)

LOL

systemdown
01-22-2008, 04:57 AM
all my tanks are on a light timer, 10 hr max then poof they go off all by them selfs,, :)

LOL

That's a great idea. I think I might get me one of those cheapo timers to start with (I think I've seen some below $10).

gm72
01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Perfectly good option.

systemdown
01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Update: I just purchased 2 more Pictus' and added them to my tank. One of the was bones only, poor little guy went straight for the food on the bottom of the tank when I released him. It swallowed a shrimp pellet and you could see it in his stomach. It doesn't look like they fed him right, the other one is big and fat. The one from last week didn't even come out to greet them :confused: ...

Tooch
01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Update: I just purchased 2 more Pictus' and added them to my tank. One of the was bones only, poor little guy went straight for the food on the bottom of the tank when I released him. It swallowed a shrimp pellet and you could see it in his stomach. It doesn't look like they fed him right, the other one is big and fat. The one from last week didn't even come out to greet them :confused: ...

It's nice of you to try to save the thin one, but you should typically only buy healthy, active fish. A good idea before buying a questionable fish is to ask to watch it eat. If it is very thin, it may be a sign of the fish being sick, or having been sick recently, and you may compromise the rest of your fish. These fish are new to the enviroment, and the fish that has been in there a few days will need to get used to his new tankmates. Give them time, keep an eye on the skinny fella', and all should be well in a week or so! Be sure to keep the lights off for a few days to give them time to get used to their surroundings with less stress, and add something such as Stress Zyme everytime you introduce new fish into your tank. thumbs2:

Oscar_freak12321
04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Pictus catfish do take a while to adjust. If he doesn't adjust after a long period of time, put food in front of the opening where he hides, and continue to do this until he's comfortable coming out for food. Then, move the food slowly farther and farther away from the house, and that will help him come out and adjust.

systemdown
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Since this old thread was brought back to life I thought I'd give you guys an update....The 2 arrivals became covered in ick and after attempting to clear the ick up they passed away. I tried one more time to add couple of friends to the lonesome catfish but they became infected with ick as well and passed away as well.....The original survived the ick threats and is still alive. It has gotten quite big (it doesn't fit inside the house anymore), and now hangs out behind it in the dark alley. I still rarely ever see it venture out to eat if the lights are on, all I see is a flash and it's back in it's spot. I did get another tank that has 2 Pictus' in it, they have been in there for about a year now. The tank is smaller and I was planning on introducing them to the "survivor". They are about as big as the "survivor" and one seems to be the bully of the other so it might be interesting to see how they will get along.

Northernguy
05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Since this old thread was brought back to life I thought I'd give you guys an update....The 2 arrivals became covered in ick and after attempting to clear the ick up they passed away. I tried one more time to add couple of friends to the lonesome catfish but they became infected with ick as well and passed away as well.....The original survived the ick threats and is still alive. It has gotten quite big (it doesn't fit inside the house anymore), and now hangs out behind it in the dark alley. I still rarely ever see it venture out to eat if the lights are on, all I see is a flash and it's back in it's spot. I did get another tank that has 2 Pictus' in it, they have been in there for about a year now. The tank is smaller and I was planning on introducing them to the "survivor". They are about as big as the "survivor" and one seems to be the bully of the other so it might be interesting to see how they will get along.

I would move anything your survivor pictus uses or likes in the tank before introducing the other two!It may make the intro a little easier.