PDA

View Full Version : Rubber mouth pleco

Litespeed
01-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Since we have had such bad luck with Bristlenose we thought we would try a rubber mouth. Do they stay fairly small and what do you think of them? Are they hardy?

sailor
01-18-2008, 03:02 AM
I have Rubber Lipped plecos in all my tanks. They do not get very big max 5 inches. They are in all 4 of my african tanks and both my comunity tanks. Being fairly small they are not the big poop factories that the bigger plecos get to be. They do not require drift wood as some of the pleco's do. If you get them don't be alarmed if you never see them as I have 2 in a comunity tank that I never see unless its after a water change and vacuuming. They do a great job on algea on my plants decorations and glass. They like a treat of zuchinni every once in a while or algea tablets once a week.

Hope this helps

You are right Futureboy I corrected my statement

Futureboy
01-18-2008, 03:10 AM
I have Rubber Lipped plecos in all my tanks. They do not get very big max 5 inches. They are in all 4 of my african tanks and both my comunity tanks. Being fairly small they are not the big poop factories that the bigger plecos get to be. They do not require drift wood as some of the pleco's do. If you get them don't be alarmed if you never see them as I have 2 in a comunity tank that I never see unless I am vacuuming after a water change. They do a great job on algea on my plants decorations and glass. They like a treat of zuchinni every once in a while or algea tablets once a week.

Hope this helps

hey sailor you should really vacume before a water change to help get rid of any crud that stirs up from the vacume

NickFish
01-20-2008, 01:56 AM
I stay clear of plecos by principal. Everytime I go to a petstore everytime I talk to an employee they alway tell me to buy plecos. I've been practicing and have perfected the laughing, condescending sort of look I give them whenever they tell me to get a common. Followed by some laughs and telling them I know how big they get and I'm not a little kid. This is fun to do because I'm 6' 4" and can sort of look down on them. It's funny and it makes them relize they can't scam me into buying things I don't need like the people that don't do any research. I think the stores just want to get rid of them really quick so people don't know they grow giganormous.

Rubber-lips only get to about 4" and should be fine in your tank. You could even get a couple. If you want to avoid all the complications of plecos I advise you (if the rubbers don't work out) to get a school of 6-8 corys. They won't eat algae (mine do for some reason though, and lots of it and I keep them very fed) but they fill up the bottom of the tank.
Or 4 or 5 otos would clean up the tank pretty quick.

nanaglen2001
01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I got 2 of those Plecos.

They are nice animals, but beware, they need a strong current and like it a bit colder, cause they come from fast running rivers way up the Andes.

To keep my bottom clean I also tend to keep Cories. As mentioned before, Cories stay small, arnt "poop machines" and they dont feed on plants, as Plecos really love to.

Bobo the Clown Loach
01-30-2008, 03:46 AM
My little guys never stop. I have 2 of them and they are constantly on the move. They do a nice job of keeping things clean. And as previously stated, they don't get to be monsters.

angelcakes
01-30-2008, 12:39 PM
get 2 has stated there not poop machines,quite placid and shy and fun to have when you see them thumbs2:

fishfanatic33
01-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Mine was great until he decided to commit suicide(jump out of the tank)

NickFish
01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
ya rubbermouth are pretty good plecos, they do some cleaning and don't turn into godzilla after the first year.

Sorry about your's fishfanatic. You wouldn't think catfish could jump.

LosC
02-12-2008, 05:12 AM
I currently have 4 corys and a betta in a 20 gallon tank, been set up for about a month. Would it be too much to add 2 more corys and a bulldog pleco? So it would be my betta, 6 corys and a bulldog pleco. Also I am currently experiencing cloudy water even with a nearly 50% water change. pH is at 7.6, is this a bit high?