PDA

View Full Version : Paroon or Iridescent?

Tooch
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between an Iridescent Shark (Pangasius Hypophthalmus) and a Paroon Shark (Pangasius Sanitwongsei)? Cara bought him when he was about 7" from Pet Supplies Plus, and he was listed as a Paroon Shark. But upon looking at some pictures on various websites and google, he kinda looks like an Iridescent...

We bought my daughter a Gold Nugget Pleco from the same place... Cute little guy, about 2". They had him listed as a Royal Pleco though, and even at the time I knew it wasn't listed correctly. That's what got me thinking about this.

Someone at my lfs said to look at the tail. Where the tail meets the (skin?), a Paroon shark will form what looks like a figure 8. Anyone know the validity of this?

Tolley
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
sorz mate cant help you dunno bout paroon sharks but always thought your old avatar looked like an id shark

Tooch
01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
sorz mate cant help you dunno bout paroon sharks but always thought your old avatar looked like an id shark

That's what I'm sayin! The 2 lfs we asked about it both gave indications pointing to the Paroon.... But after doing searches on the scientific name, it becomes really difficult. I'm looking at it through my crappy work computer whose monitor is uber dull, but I was actually leaning towards an id myself... That may be a good thing, considering Paroons can get over 8', while id only get to 3' or so, correct?

Tolley
01-15-2008, 06:38 PM
yeh thats correct, maybe upload a pic here of the shark so we can compare it

Tolley
01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
man jus googled it found this http://www.svein.no/author/paroon.htm

first sentence...
'Paroon' is the correct spelling for the common name of these fishes, which are scientifically named Pangasius sanitwongsei.

Search the scientific name you get id sharks..
I see what your getting at.

G2g brb later

P.s get a pic!

Ocellatus
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I've seen your pics, i think yours is an Iridescent shark. the obvious differense is the fin and tail tips, paroons have more longer and sharper tips.
it can be determined easily if they are more than 4 - 5" long. smaller ones almost look like the same but the color of paroons is more black and iridescents are dark blue when theyr young.

as far as i know paroons are more predatory and they have stronger olfaction and sight. and they growth rate is more than iridescents.

heres a pic i got some months ago from a LFS. red marked is paroon and blue marked Iridescent. ( thats an albino one )

I have seen many of them in LFSs here, unfortunately they sell them to people that have just a small tank like 30 to 50g. they don't notice that these fish will grow more than their tank length!

also i have to say that we know them here by other names so maybe i've mixed the names up in above statement!

Tooch
01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I'll try to get some clear pictures of my shark, whatever it is, in the next couple days... It wouldn't suprise me if Pet Supplies Plus marked them wrong. The thing that really got me thinking is my shark has a more rounded belly. It seems Paroons are more slim... Heres the picture of the ID shark that made me start wondering.

In the first picture it shows a rounded stomach like mine typically has. I used to think it was from eating, but it's always like that. But mine does not have such a forked tail that the first picture has. The 2nd picture is an actual picture of my shark. Sorry it's blurry, took it with a crappy camera.

Ocellatus
01-15-2008, 08:03 PM
well that one in the first pic is a huge Iridescent! you have to wait some years to get that size and tail form :hmm3grin2orange: and you need a pool for it! lol

and yeah i've seen iridescents belly become big and rounded when they get bigger, they look like a fat and lazy blind oldman :hmm3grin2orange: but paroons look like a really dangerous and predatory hunter shark!

Tooch
01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Stupid, lazy fat fish...

Tolley
01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
i say its an id looks jus like a bigger versian of the 2 inch ones at fish stores lol

Tooch
01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm really startin to think also. I'm not sure if that really changes anything though. How big do ID's get?

Tolley
01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
3' like you said i think, much better than 8' lol

Tooch
01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
3' like you said i think, much better than 8' lol

LOL 3' was just my guess :ezpi_wink1:

Tolley
01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
lol good guess then!

Tooch
01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
...Only 3'? Well, that's alright then! :confused: haha 3' is still alittle big for an 8' tank I'm thinkin. It'll be eatin better than we are. I wonder if I could still feed it my fiance's fat sh*t 36lb cat... Her and my daughter call it Mr. Kitty. I call it General Tso's. I've read Paroon sharks eat dog carcasses, I wonder if ID eat cat.:14:

Dave66
01-15-2008, 09:06 PM
...Only 3'? Well, that's alright then! :confused: haha 3' is still alittle big for an 8' tank I'm thinkin. It'll be eatin better than we are. I wonder if I could still feed it my fiance's fat sh*t 36lb cat... Her and my daughter call it Mr. Kitty. I call it General Tso's. I've read Paroon sharks eat dog carcasses, I wonder if ID eat cat.:14:

Iridescent sharks can grow to four feet, not three. As they are a schooling fish, you'd need to keep at least six, and have a good, fairly strong lateral current for them, as they are Mekong river fish. Now if you had a 35 by 20 footprint tank, a school of sharks could be yours. . . .

Dave

Tolley
01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
lol if it does pm i have a feeder sister for sale atm... :thumb:

Tooch
01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
lol if it does pm i have a feeder sister for sale atm... :thumb:

Tolley lol lemme try the cat first and then I'll get back to you. :ezpi_wink1:

So, Dave, what you're saying is... I need an olympic swimming pool...? Don't you ever have any good news for me?? :ezpi_wink1:

Dave66
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Tolley lol lemme try the cat first and then I'll get back to you. :ezpi_wink1:

So, Dave, what you're saying is... I need an olympic swimming pool...? Don't you ever have any good news for me?? :ezpi_wink1:

Sure, you have a nice big tank that you could plant up and stock with hundreds of gorgeous fish that won't eat your right arm :).
And I'm very pleased that the monsters you have are thriving; the vast majority of them croak in newer tanks when ammonia goes crazy.
Yes, the sharks get too big and have other demands than your tank's dimensions can supply. It doesn't mean you're a poor fish keeper, because you're not, its just that you didn't know what you'd bought before hand, something countless aquarium keepers have done. If I'd have met you before you'd bought them, I'd shove Axelrod's Aquarium Atlas in your hand, so you'd know the adult size and needs before you went shopping. I'd lead you to accurate websites so you can learn about the Paroon sharks of the world.
You'll have to find homes for those monsters, because if I know anything at all about you, you wouldn't want them to suffer in a too-small tank. Its a tough thing to do, finding homes for big, antisocial fish (like the Paroon), but it can be done. There's a tiny percentage of aquarium keepers that have tanks in the thousands and tens of thousands of gallon and keep full grown monsters in them. A good, healthy Paroon would attract folks like that.

Dave

Tooch
01-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, the search begins! Haha it's funny, most people I've read about have to talk their signifigant others into getting fish like that... I'll have to talk mine into getting rid of it! Let the wars begin! :14:

Tooch
01-17-2008, 04:53 AM
OK, so after spending a lot of time (at work) researching it, and then some more at home comparing pictures of our shark with pictures of both Paroon Sharks and Iridescent Sharks, both myself and Cara believe he is an Iridescent Shark. He's got the fat man lazy belly and a smaller mouth. On top of that, his dorsal fin doesn't have the long extension, and the 2 under fins (??) are short as well. His tail isn't as long and pointed on the top and bottom, and his tail curves somewhat, like all the pictures I've seen... The search is over! Cara is kinda upset because we've had him for a year and a half thinking he was something he's not. (I felt the need at that point to point out to her we don't even know if he's a "he". Whoops... :14: )

Ocellatus
01-17-2008, 07:37 AM
sorry that you was thinking wrong for a long time.
and yes, as i said paroons are obvious with their long fins even when they are young.

Tooch
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey, at least we know now! Better late than never, and it was alot of fun reading about the two and comparing pictures and what-not. I even had Melany looking at the picture saying "Now what do you think looks different on this fish than Spooky...?" haha she did really good too. Make kind of a game out of it! :c3: