PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Identification

emma_421
01-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I picked these guys up at my lfs today. They had them labeled as Orange Algea Eating Shrimp. I looked them up on the internet and all I can come up with is Orange Bee Shrimp. They are a little over an inch long. Is that what these guys are? Also, how do you tell the difference between a male and a female? And there appears to be a hairy, yellow worm looking larva on a plant that they came with, is it a baby?

Fishguy2727
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
A pic of the worm will help.

Shape looks like an amano shrimp. I just posted about the blue one I brought home last night. One post said that species comes in just about any color, so it seems like an orange morph of an amano shrimp (algae eating shrimp).

Fishalicious
01-11-2008, 11:28 PM
It's a Neocaridina sp. Orange - should be kept in a group of at least 10 - they are not very often seen in the market so you are one lucky fishkeeper :19: The females have saddles on their back and males have less color and stay smaller... they have the same care and breeding as Cherry Shrimp

The Orange Bee Shrimp has blackish stripes on it so it is def the above one.

The Amano shrimp is a Caridina so they are not connected in any way...

Shrimp babies are perfectly formed little tiny shrimp and don't resemble a worm - sounds like it might be planaria.

emma_421
01-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't think it's planaria. It looks like a yellow caterpillar, only under water. It came on one of the plants that was in the cup with one of my shrimp. I will try to get a picture.

emma_421
01-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Man, I love my camera. Here is a picture of the tiny little thing. What do you guys think?

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 12:46 AM
oooooh defo not planaria LOL Looks like a larvae of something a lot larger... some insect...not a dragonfly but don't know what...

In any case it should not be in the aqua - set it free :19:

tropfish
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
you should keep it in a small container and see what it turns into

NickFish
01-12-2008, 01:05 AM
very strange little thing. Ya I agree with Trop see if you can get it to grow.

Pr0eve
01-12-2008, 01:06 AM
maybe there is info here,

http://www.petshrimp.com/shrimpspecies.html

Pr0eve
01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
shrimp are cool..

emma_421
01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
I have already been on that website. I guess I will keep it in a jar of water with something to land on out of the water to see what happens. I can't set it free, it is winter here and it wouldn't survive. It was in a plastic cup at my lfs so it should be ok with clean, cool water. Definately not a shrimp larvae though, right?????Please keep posting opinions though.

emma_421
01-12-2008, 02:58 AM
After searching all day, I'm thinking that they may be Caridina cf. propinqua. They do not look like Neocaridina sp. Orange when I search for them. What do you think???

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I am pretty sure it is the Neocaridina sp. Orange (english name) The proper and aptly german name is Neocaridina sp. "mandarine"

Search under that name and you will find the same as yours... I sell them as well...

Caridina cf. propinqua are brackwater shrimp and also need salt to molt properly as they are proper brackwater shrimp.... they are near as impossible to breed.

If you have more than one and a mix of males & females it will be pretty easy to identify - if they breed quite quickly they will be the Neocaridina if they don't breed at all then the Caridina ;) ;) :)

Fishguy2727
01-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Do you mean brackish?

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 02:26 PM
brackwater shrimp - braskish = Tomato - Tomatoe :ezpi_wink1:

Brackish fish are from brackwater

emma_421
01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
You may be right. I went back and bought 2 more. I also bought 2 clear ones that look exactly the same except no orange. I hope you are right, that way they will breed for me if I got male and female. As for the worm, who knows. I don't know if I have a male and a female though. Wherever they got them from might have only sold one sex to prevent breeding competition in my area. I wonder if I could get a pair of yours fishalicious. Then I would be able to compare them and see if they all breed together. What do you think?

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
That would be an idea unfortunately I live in Europe :ssad:

Do the white ones look exactely the same? And are they slightly see through or are the more proper white all over?

emma_421
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Here is a picture of one of the clear ones. They both look the same as eachother and just like the orange ones, only clear.

emma_421
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
OK. scratch that. Upon looking further it seems that the clear ones have a different shaped head. Their eyes poke out of the top and are larger that the orange shrimp.

squirt_12
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
to me the clear one looks like an amano shrimp.

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Yip that's an Amano - they won't breed unless they are in braskish water and even then they are more difficult to breed. But on the good side the official name of the Amano is Caridina japonica and if your orange ones aren't the same build and look different then they are not from the Caridina family so most likely the Neocaridina sp. orange (mandarine) which means they will breed really easy if you have males & females - yeahhhhh ;)

squirt_12
01-12-2008, 08:35 PM
the amano can breed in FW but don't they need full on SW for the larvae to survive????

sorry to be a little off topic

emma_421
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I hope they breed, that would be some good money since they are so rare in the United States. I was also looking at getting some blue pearl shrimp. Would they interbreed with either of the two that I have? What do you mean by saddle? Is that the black spot on the top of it's head? If so, then 3 of the orange ones have them and one has one but a lot smaller.

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
No they don't need full SW - just brackish and then only for the first two weeks - easiest way is to place a female carrying eggs into a freshwater tank and raise the salinity - once the babies are born wait for two weeks and then you can place them back into the main freshwater tank.

The Blue Pearls are Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var.blue and you have a high chance they will interbreed with your orange... seeing these are more rare species I don't know for sure but being from the same family it is very likely.

A saddle is indeed a dark or white spot just behind the head - it looks like a mini horses saddle - those are females. If you have even just 1 male and 1 female they will breed pretty soon...Neocaridina are prolific breeders

squirt_12
01-12-2008, 09:07 PM
No they don't need full SW - just brackish and then only for the first two weeks - easiest way is to place a female carrying eggs into a freshwater tank and raise the salinity - once the babies are born wait for two weeks and then you can place them back into the main freshwater tank.

ok...thanks. I was told on the internet that it takes SW to raise the larvae correctly....thanks.

emma_421
01-12-2008, 09:15 PM
So you would say the one in my original picture is probobly female? If I have one that has a saddle that isn't as dark as the other 3 and the saddle is a lot smaller (barely there) is it possible that it is a male? Or do they just plain not have one at all?

Fishalicious
01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Males don't have them at all....males are also usually a lot less intense in color and smaller than the females - they also swim around a lot more than the females

emma_421
01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Darn. Now I have to search for a male. What would happen if they bred with blue ones? Would some of the offspring be blue and some be orange? Or would they just turn brown from mixing the colors?

emma_421
01-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah. And will the Orange breed with Red Cherry Shrimp?