PDA

View Full Version : Man these things can hide.

PUNISHER VETTE
01-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Bought my first fish yesterday. It was a clown loach to help keep my snail population from exploding.

Anyone know if they can only live off snails? How many do they normally eat and how often? I have some tetra food...should i feed him that every so often?

Anyway. After about the first hour i haven't seen the little guy. 30g tank that is only slightly planted.

I saw him swim into a hole in my driftwood and hope he hasn't gotten stuck or something. Can they swim backwards to get out? I just hope he is okay somewhere in there.

crackatinny
01-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Loaches are fairly social and like to be in groups, they are also shy at 1st, but he will come out eventually.
Just a heads up, clowns can reach a foot, but seem to be slow growers.

mitcore
01-08-2008, 02:32 AM
i agree with crack though, mine hide and then died, i havent been game to get more cause of it

Futureboy
01-08-2008, 02:44 AM
they also "sleep" in pretty strange positions so dont be worried if you see him laying upside down in the corner of the tank and then swimming around fine later

PUNISHER VETTE
01-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Haven't seen him yet....I'm afraid he's a gonner:ssad:

crackatinny
01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Haven't seen him yet....I'm afraid he's a gonner:ssad:

Move some decor carefully around a bit, he may appear.

cocoa_pleco
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
they get in the TIGHTEST spaces, i had 4 and when i moved the driftwood from their tank to another tank they managed to squirm in a tiny crack, and a hour later i found them mysteriously in the other tank, im sure you'll find them

PUNISHER VETTE
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
He could very well be under some of the wood but if he is he might show up.

But i saw him swim in a hole/crack and i just hope he didn't die in there.

I'm not too worried but maybe i should add some food just in case....

PUNISHER VETTE
01-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Man. I must have had some snails hatch out today. Got home from work and there where about 20-30 little ones on the front glass.....

I did do a water change yesterday....could that have any affect? Maybe if my stupid loach wasn't suicidal he could eat some....

forrestcook
01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
i vote you take the clown loach back (they get too big for your tank) and get three yoyos. They'll eat plenty of snails and are about the limit for loaches in your tank as far as size goes. A group of three will let them be pretty social as well.

Given that it's a new tank though, you need to move stuff around to find him. if he died in your tank all he's doing is polluting your water at this point. Is it cycled already?

fishfanatic33
01-12-2008, 05:11 AM
I vote for yo-yos too. They work well and are fun to watch!!

kitten3326
01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I have 3 clowns in a 100 gallon and when there are 3 or more they are far more social, however 3 in a thirty gallon maybe a little much, I also vote for yo-yo's these little guys are great, however if you are continuing to have a snail problem, I would cut back on your food, that should look after your problem considerably. Hopes this helps.

fishy girl
01-12-2008, 06:26 PM
That's true, overfeeding can produce quite a bit of snails