PDA

View Full Version : amazon sword

squirt_12
01-07-2008, 03:13 AM
what is the minimum tank requirement for an amazon sword????? i know that it should be fairly tall as they will grow big but what is the ideal tank that you would recommend???

thanks

YaYgoldFish
01-07-2008, 03:17 AM
I dont know if their really is an Ideal tank size for them, I saw one the size of my head at the lfs, would of looked good in a 10g in the middle..but if your wondering if you can have them inii your 33g, then I say go for it.

Dave66
01-07-2008, 03:33 AM
what is the minimum tank requirement for an amazon sword????? i know that it should be fairly tall as they will grow big but what is the ideal tank that you would recommend???

thanks

Depends on the species, squirt. There are the ground cover little guys like E. tennelus and E. quadricostatus. E. parviflorus looks like the big, classic sword but gets 10 inches tall. E. horemanii also tops out at 10 inches. Also small like that is E. opacus, but its tougher to find. The most common available is also one of the largest, E. bleheri. It reaches two feet tall, and does so quickly when its established.
Stay away from Melon swords(E. cordifolius), as they get huge, ultimately even larger than bleheri.
All the rest I know of off the top of my head reach 20 inches at least, and you'd need a tank 55 gallons or better to keep them properly.

Dave

squirt_12
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
ok...thanks Dave...i was just curious on how big they got...i did some research but some stuff on the internet isn't very helpful...so i go to the experts....thanks :thumb:

Algenco
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
ok...thanks Dave...i was just curious on how big they got...i did some research but some stuff on the internet isn't very helpful...so i go to the experts....thanks :thumb:

You should be able to find the info you want here.
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=sword&type=Search

squirt_12
01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
You should be able to find the info you want here.
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=sword&type=Search
thanks for the link Algenco :thumb: