PDA

View Full Version : clown loaches - red gills

TriBeCa
01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi all, I've been looking at disease links trying to work out what's up with my loaches. I had had 3 of them, but two died mysteriously along with my 3 black lyretail mollies. The last one has survived for a couple of weeks (along with all 6 of my rosy barbs), so a couple days ago I got 3 more. They're all fine, but I just noticed that they all have distinctly red gills. No other sign of damage or strange behavior (other than the normally strange behavior of clowns). Does anyone know what this is, and how I should treat for it? I'm gonna make a wild guess that whatever it is is what killed the other 2, and I just didn't notice the red gills before.

Before someone asks, yes the tank is cycled - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~10ppm nitrates.

gm72
01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Red gill color is usually indicative of high iron levels in the tank.

TriBeCa
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
interesting...is there a way to test for that? and how do I remove it? very possible that the tap water here has a fair bit of iron in it.

gm72
01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Iron test kits are available. I would test for it if I were you as a start. Other than live plants I'm not sure how you would reduce it if that is indeed the problem.

TriBeCa
01-06-2008, 07:30 PM
alright, I'll pick up a test kit. I do have two live plants in the tank....

gm72
01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Those plants should help keep down the iron for sure.