PDA

View Full Version : arowana growth!!

myster619
01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I hav just bought a 3.5'' jardini.Can any1 try to guess how long it may grow after 4 months??

Dave66
01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Depends on the size of the tank, cleanliness of the water, and quality and frequency of foods. Given perfect conditions (no ammonia, nitrite, as little nitrate as possible), varied quality foods and in a large tank, you can expect an inch to 1.5 inches a month.

Dave

NickFish
01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I wish I had a big enough tank for a arowana.

I've heard that they can jump almost 6 feet out of the water. Are they known to do this in aquariums and if so how do you feed them without putting your hand above the tank?

Congrats on your new fish:19:

Tooch
01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I really wish I had the room also... Is an 8ft tank big enough? It would probably end up killing all my fish, from what I understand though, right? Our lfs has an 8" one they weened off live food. He only eats pellets now. I wonder if that'll work?

NickFish
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Ya I think an 8 foot tank would be big enough for an arowana. Depending on the height and width maybe even 2 if you get the smaller varieties but don't go by me I'm not an arowana expert I just really like them.
I have no idea what you feed arowanas in the aquarium.

YaYgoldFish
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Pellets would be best for arowana since most of them are expensive you wouldn't want to introduce deseases to them. How many gallons is your 8ft tank? What about filtration?

Tooch
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
The aquarium is 265 gallons. It's not set up yet, as we're redoing the oak stand and the woodwork around it, as well as cleaning it out. When it is finished and ready to be filled, we're going to use a magnaflow 4 sump filter, and a 1200gph pump, as it only has 1 overflow

YaYgoldFish
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Then you probably could get one of the biger species.

Tooch
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
We've always wanted one... What would the compatibility be with:

(approx. sizes)
Oscar - 9"
Paroon Shark - 12or13"
Convict - 4"
Green Terror - 5to6"
Pleco - ~10"
Knife Fish ~ 5or6"

Like I said, it doesn't eat live food anymore, but I'm not sure if it can revert back and kill the others, simply for territory or vise/versa. I know it's a top dweller, so will this help with territory, or would that be a tank-wide deal?

NickFish
01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Everyone seems to have way different standards for keeping arowanas.
Some people have had good experiences with aros in 150 gallons.
Some people have had good experiences with aros in 300 gallon communitys
Some people only keep them in 400 gallons and above.
It's really confusing I think just try the stuff out and see what works. But for sure nothing under 250 gallons. And then try and get one of the smaller ones (not a jardini they will kill everything). For compatibility it really matters on the personality of that arowana. Just be sure to have a divider ready.