PDA

View Full Version : what a trooper.

plow
01-04-2008, 07:53 AM
I was shifting my fish to a new aquarium when one of my little clown loaches hopped out of the net and landed on the floor..

he was flapping about on the floor and my attempts to carefully pick him up were unsuccessful and I only managed to assist getting him wedged further under the leg support for the aquarium table. He was stuck under it head first and I wasn't sure how to get him out. I tried with a few various tools to manouvre him out without any luck and in the end time was running out so I just grabbed the little guys tail and pulled and hoped for the best.

I thought I heard a little bit of crunching of fins or something being injured as i pulled but I managed to get him into the aquarium after maybe a minute on the floor. He was by this time gettign dry and stuick to my fingers a bit.

This was 3 days ago, I was certain he wouldn't last the night and was fully expecting to see a dead loach in the morning.

Well he's still charging about, so much so that of the three I have in the tank I have no idea which one he was. They all look very happy... so far. thumbs2:

I am amazed he survived after this episode a single night, let alone 3 nights and he seems to be doing fine.

what a trooper.. are clown loaches know for this hardiness?

Dave66
01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I was shifting my fish to a new aquarium when one of my little clown loaches hopped out of the net and landed on the floor..

he was flapping about on the floor and my attempts to carefully pick him up were unsuccessful and I only managed to assist getting him wedged further under the leg support for the aquarium table. He was stuck under it head first and I wasn't sure how to get him out. I tried with a few various tools to manouvre him out without any luck and in the end time was running out so I just grabbed the little guys tail and pulled and hoped for the best.

I thought I heard a little bit of crunching of fins or something being injured as i pulled but I managed to get him into the aquarium after maybe a minute on the floor. He was by this time gettign dry and stuick to my fingers a bit.

This was 3 days ago, I was certain he wouldn't last the night and was fully expecting to see a dead loach in the morning.

Well he's still charging about, so much so that of the three I have in the tank I have no idea which one he was. They all look very happy... so far. thumbs2:

I am amazed he survived after this episode a single night, let alone 3 nights and he seems to be doing fine.

what a trooper.. are clown loaches know for this hardiness?

Yep, when properly kept the Botia species, including your Chromobotia, are well nigh bulletproof when established. They can easily live for a decade or more. It will take some time (years) but eventually those clown loaches will reach 12 to 16 inches. They do slow down after they hit six inches or so.
Next time (if there is one) wet your hands with tank water first before picking up a fish off the floor. That way your hands don't stick to the fish's slime coat.

Dave

Tooch
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow, I'm glad you're fish is ok!

Next time (if there is one) wet your hands with tank water first before picking up a fish off the floor. That way your hands don't stick to the fish's slime coat.

Dave

That's really good advice! I never would have thought of that...

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Clowns are pretty tough guys. It's claimed if you find one laying on the floor and you think he's dead, put him back in the water and watch him for awhile because he will probably still be alive. Watch for certain decorations as they will climb up inside of them and get stuck. I lost two that way.

Good tip, Dave. Never thought of that.

plow
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Yep, when properly kept the Botia species, including your Chromobotia, are well nigh bulletproof when established. They can easily live for a decade or more. It will take some time (years) but eventually those clown loaches will reach 12 to 16 inches. They do slow down after they hit six inches or so.

Dave

actually i think that he stuck to my finger was the only reason i managed to get him out of the crack he was wedged in.

good tip though.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey plow, you ever seen Marge?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Now that's a clown loach! LOL

Mine are barely 4 inches at over a year so guess we won't have to worry for a while.

NickFish
01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
That's a BIG loach! When you first see one of those little orange and black fish in the bottom of the pet store tank you would never think that that same fish could get that big.
Hobbs are your loaches doing anything about the snail population?

gm72
01-05-2008, 04:41 PM
My clown loaches are a few years old and don't seem to be growing anymore than they are now--about 4 inches or so.

Lady Hobbs
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
That's a BIG loach! When you first see one of those little orange and black fish in the bottom of the pet store tank you would never think that that same fish could get that big.
Hobbs are your loaches doing anything about the snail population?

None in their tank but there never was. I have tossed some in their tank for them to eat and they never ever saw them. I picked them out later myself.

I have a phobia with these snails. I don't want anything in my tank that I don't put in my tank. I do not like quests that show up ininvited. :)

gm72..... I am holding out hopes that mine don't get over 8 inches. I read fairly often that tank raised loaches only get around 8 inches so I am hoping for that size (or less.) I guess if you have a huge, huge tank like the one Marge is in, they would get bigger. Or, if you had them imported in and they were already huge as I'm sure there's were. There's is a display tank (huge) so I doubt they requested 1 inch loaches to fill it.

Gez, they live about 30 years and I doubt that display tank was there 30 years ago.

plow
01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey plow, you ever seen Marge?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Now that's a clown loach! LOL

Mine are barely 4 inches at over a year so guess we won't have to worry for a while.

That fish is a beast!

My loaches have sorted out my snail problem well and truly.

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, thats a monster loach!

Now, if I can hijack this really quick...

I have 3 Black Kuhli Loaches, and I have snails, but I'm not sure if they eat them or not. I only see them at night with my red LED light. they kinda just swim around. I've fed them bloodworms before too... Is it possible that they are eating the snails? I've seen them eat, and look around for food. They don't eat bottom feeder tabs either, I don't think.

cocoa_pleco
01-06-2008, 10:42 PM
that loach is large and in charge!

mitcore
01-07-2008, 06:01 AM
congrats what a tough fish

glad to hear he made it