PDA

View Full Version : Color of Tiger Barb

Litespeed
12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
I have noticed that one of my tiger barbs doesn't have the bright colors of the others. The only way I can describe it, is that it looks like the colors are cloudy. The fish is acting just fine, swimming, chasing the others and eating okay. Do you think there is anything wrong?

fishfanatic33
12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, without a better description I cant say exactly what it is,so could you give a better one. Do the scales look cloudy white,or just the color?

Litespeed
12-31-2007, 02:12 AM
Basically it's very noticable on the black stripes and the red coloration on the fins. I guess they look like the color is duller. The scales look fine, still shiny. The fish is very active, chasing everyone else around.

gm72
12-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Getting older maybe?

RichBowyer
12-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Of my two (?...1 seems to be missing the last two days)Tiger barbs the one has always had this, most noticeable on the forward most black bar. It has never gotten any worse. I've had them since September but didn't get good lighting till some time in October and thats when I noticed the same thing.

It ain't killin` any of em.... :o)

Tjones
12-31-2007, 03:37 AM
"The females are easily spotted by their comparative lack of colour and their deep, convex body shape. "

female maybe? hard to say without pictures im going to go inspect my barbs now :)

Litespeed
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
I would hope it isn't age since all the barbs are only about 2". I will try to get a picture, but I'm sure it won't be that great since they move around so fast. The barb seems to be even more faded this morning, still very active and eating.

gm72
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Stress? Any changes to the tank lately?

Tigerbarb
01-01-2008, 02:09 AM
I have had several colorful fish and have noticed that as they grow old, their coloring sometimes fades. maybe when you bought yor Tigerbarbs, one of them could have been older.
I would suggest looking up the subject of Tigerbarbs losing color.
Tetramin flakes often enhance color in fish. Try looking for brands of flake foods that feature color enhancing formula.

Litespeed
01-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Couldn't really find anything regarding Tiger Barbs fading color, but now they are doing head standing. Some suggest that the head standing has to do with breeding. I'm wondering if the two aren't connected since this all started just a couple of days ago.

gm72
01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I would rather think that breeding should increase coloration, not decrease it.

NickFish
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Tigers head stand all the time nothing to worry about.
The fading color could have to do with nitrates and nitrites in the tank.
Fish usually lose color because of age, malnutrition or poor water quality.
What are you feeding them?

shockshockshad
01-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Tigers head stand all the time nothing to worry about.
The fading color could have to do with nitrates and nitrites in the tank.
Fish usually lose color because of age, malnutrition or poor water quality.
What are you feeding them?

When tiger barbs head stand it means something is wrong. It IS something to worry about. Usually it has to do with tank parimaters-normally nitrIte.

Colin
01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I thought headstanding with barbs was due to overfeeding?
Duller colouration ? check out the differences in colour between male and female. the redish snout/nose area should be reddish on the males along with fins but I think I have females with Dull snouts red flashes in the fins, snout colour good indication of sex. If yours are headstanding the body shape will be FAT and you cant use body shape to sex them. you might find the duller ones are simply female

They will be fine. Put them on a 2 day diet and 25% water changes for a few days. Check your water quality before each water change and monitor water quality by way of recording at least daily best twice a day when your having problems, you should see things settle down.

Litespeed
01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
Everything is all and well in our tank now. The head standing and fading color has stopped. I still think it was a mating thing, but who knows. We did come down with a case of Ick shortly after this started, so maybe part of it was due to that too.