PDA

View Full Version : any one heard of a chaka chaka

snipers_den
12-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows something about a catfish called a chaka chaka, my neighbor has what he calls one for sale but he cant locate it in his tank....any info would be appreciated

2manyfish
12-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Chaca chaca - and I've heard of them but never really had any interest in one for myself!! Here's a link...takes awhile to load...

www.scotcat.com/factsheets/chaca_chaca.htm

TowBoater
12-29-2007, 01:08 AM
I think I gave one of those to my schools tank.:hmm3grin2orange: Ugly little fish eh?

tropfish
12-29-2007, 01:46 AM
an ugly brute, but it looks awesome lol.

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 01:50 AM
that is one ugly fish....sorry to whoever likes them...but sorry to say...they are ugly...it look slike a piece of rotting wood with eyes, gills, mouth and tail.

Fishguy2727
12-29-2007, 02:22 AM
They only get about 8" and will eat anything that fits in their VERY large mouth, this includes fish up to about their own size.

TowBoater
12-29-2007, 02:23 AM
That can't be healthy for them either can it? It also said they can be poisonous if the pH is changed to much. I think I am going to stay away from them for sure.

NickFish
12-29-2007, 12:20 PM
wow that thing looks ugly but in an awesome way. My lfs had some on sale for $45. I wonder if anybody would actually buy them...

snipers_den
12-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Thank you all for the info....looks like someone beat it with a ugly stick and dipped it in tempura batter

alter ego
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows something about a catfish called a chaka chaka, my neighbor has what he calls one for sale but he cant locate it in his tank....any info would be appreciated

Hi
In response to your question. The Chaka Chaka catfish is, in my opinion, one of the ugliest catfish you will come across. However, all said and done, it is one hell of a predator. It resembles a piece of flat wood lying on the bottom of the tank.
Any small fish daft enough to go anywhere near it will be sucked straight into its wide flat mouth. They move mainly at night and during the day look almost dead. There appears to be no movement. Colour is mainly brown (reddish) with some markings that blend into the surroundings. This is one mean catfish and best kept on its own or with much larger fish.

fraggle
01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
There's a bit of info on it on Planetcatfish

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=136

Says that they lower the pH of the tank! Myabe something to do with the strong stomach acids needed to digest large fish swallowed whole, says it will swallow anything up to it's own size!

I agree, definately ugly looking fish! lol

angelcakes
01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
thats one ugly fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:1:

ruthlesskiller
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
lol all catfish are greedy :P