PDA

View Full Version : Otos and Algae

Faith_at_Large
12-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I have read that Otos die quickly once they run out of algae to eat in a tank. I have two Otos in my ten gallon, but it has more than one type of algae. The walls are looking pretty good but so far the Otos still appear to be eating something off the wall, they are often stuck on there. If the main type of algae is all gone, will they eat the other type or just die off, and if so how quickly. I offer them alternatives occassionally (not accepted due to an abundance of algae of all kinds), but I do not want them to die due to my inability to distinquish between their preferred algae and something they won't or can't eat. They are amazing fish and not just tank cleaners for me.

Dave66
12-26-2007, 01:45 AM
I have read that Otos die quickly once they run out of algae to eat in a tank. I have two Otos in my ten gallon, but it has more than one type of algae. The walls are looking pretty good but so far the Otos still appear to be eating something off the wall, they are often stuck on there. If the main type of algae is all gone, will they eat the other type or just die off, and if so how quickly. I offer them alternatives occasionally (not accepted due to an abundance of algae of all kinds), but I do not want them to die due to my inability to distinguish between their preferred algae and something they won't or can't eat. They are amazing fish and not just tank cleaners for me.

Otocinclus and their close relations drop like flies when they run out of food. Being herbivores, it takes a lot of greens to keep them going. Romaine lettuce, leaf spinach, corgette, cucumbers, peeled and cored apples and green algae I culture on river cobbles are what my Otocinclus types get. The leafy vegetables should be smashed with the flat of your hand as Otocinclus don't have the dentation needed to get through otherwise. You can rubber-band the leafy vegetables to a stone. The others can be sunk with a clean tea spoon. Otocinclus MUST have foods available to them ALL the time if you're going to be a success with them. Always remove uneaten food for them after 24 hours.

Dave

Faith_at_Large
12-26-2007, 04:35 AM
I have a veggie-clip, I trust that I can stick food on the side for easy removal? I have seen my Otos eating at all levels.

Currently my Otos area also competing with my Platys for algae, although my Platys have a more varied diet. I also have sinking pellets - both shrimp (which I now know are not the best choice for Otos) and algae - somebody likes them because the last one I put in there is all gone.

I am going to soften some baby spinach for them, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help.

KcEE
12-26-2007, 04:44 AM
I tried sinking algae wafers for mine to eat and I really do not know if it's getting eaten by my oto's.

MeganL3985
12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm in the same boat KcEE, I have been dropping sinking wafers in my tank each night, after lights out, for my oto's but have no idea if its my oto's eating them....though they're gone by morning.

squirt_12
12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
otos also like to eat zuchinni.

Dave66
12-26-2007, 07:10 PM
otos also like to eat zuchinni.

Squirt, corgette IS zucchini. Its a European term for it, and I'm so used to talking with aquarium keepers from that part of the world I sometimes forget to call it zucchini. But corgette is the same thing. By either name, the gourd needs to be blanched in boiling water to soften it a bit for the Otocinclus' palate.

Dave

Faith_at_Large
01-04-2008, 04:56 AM
I have been trying baby spinach and zucchini squash (sliced and blanched) - something is eating them, but I only see the Platys going for it. The Otos may be eating them after dark - they tend to be more active at night. In any case, my Otos are looking nice and plump and seem to be doing well in their environment.