PDA

View Full Version : Feeding clown loaches.

plow
12-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I know very little about clown loaches.

I have owned a clown loach now for two weeks..(I did have two but one died from Ick) he is about 5 cm long, he is young. He is sharing a tank with one very small pleco and two young angels.

What do they eat apart from the snails?

Do they need special food for themselves?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Algae pellets, slices of cukes and squash, blanched lettuce, flakes, shrimp pellets.......whatever. They eat everything and should be given a variety.

They grow very large and like company of their own.

plow
12-23-2007, 01:35 PM
thanks Hobbs!

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Plow, any time you need to treat for ick and you have loaches, they do not do well with ick meds. They are considered scaleless so use half doses of salt and turn your temp up. The are suspectible to ick so if any is in your tank, they will get it.

There are also meds now for SENSITIVE fish. One of those would work if you can find it but the salt will work if given in half doses.

Matt23
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello plow,

I have 3 clown loaches at home and they love to eat off the ground and basically will eat anything. I feed them Algae Wafers. I fed them vegetables and they got a bit sick so I stopped. Your best bet is to buy 3 more loaches and buy them maybe a small pack of Algae Wafers for treats. i give it to them every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. They seem to enjoy Tetra Color but I'm sure they will eat anything you give to your other fish.MATT23

squirt_12
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
first of all...what size of tank do you have them in??? because they get BIG

as said before they will eat squash, letuce, flakes, shrimp pellets, algae pellets, flake food, pellet food.

The will also eat some bloodworms and maybe brine shrimp.

plow
12-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a 30g and a 55g..

He is in the 30g right now to sort out a snail problem I have. I will give him a couple of mates soon and transfer them to the 55g when they get bigger.

I'll get some algae flakes for them too.

cheers.

squirt_12
12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
ok thats good...i was just making sure that you had him in the right size of tank becasue alot of people don't realize how big these guys will get.

looks like you have everything under control.

keep up the great work :thumb:

Bobo the Clown Loach
01-29-2008, 06:48 AM
If you really want to watch them go crazy, throw some live brine shrimp in the tank. It's like watching a dustbuster on the bottom of the tank.