PDA

View Full Version : Male BN aggression towards one another?

Atlas
11-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Can several male bristlenose plecos live together peacefully, if they were raised together since birth?
Can females do the same?

Our pair recently had fry... and now they won't stop having fry! I imagine this must be really stressful for both of them, so we might need to separate them and keep our tank limited to either males or females. Would we be better off going with a full female tank, or can males get along just fine?

Boundava
11-23-2019, 02:29 AM
Adult males will show aggression to others, even sons. You may get away with 2 in a large enough tank with enough hiding spots for them. Females will not, so you can have a couple/few in a tank

toddnbecka
11-24-2019, 04:17 AM
I bred/raised hundreds of BN plecos some years ago. I started with 3 pairs in a 30 gallon tank. As long as the males had enough suitable caves to claim separate territories they were fine, but the females typically only bred with one male. On one occasion I saw a second male hanging around outside the breeding pair's cave, apparently trying to get some of his sperm into the mix. They will keep breeding for quite a while before taking a break, and you'll need to move fry out to make way for more to avoid overcrowding and the tank crashing.

The Cichlid Keeper
11-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Agree with Boundava. Heard Plecos kept together will fight. Didn't know that males kept together will fight. In that case, I would keep one male to several females, from the story I've read, might want to just continue with female Plecostomus. Not sure how to tell the difference yet, but I've kept several Plecostomus before, just not in the same tank more than once.