PDA

View Full Version : Sexing and Breeding Hypancistrus sp. L066 King Tiger Pleco

MrDankYT
10-24-2019, 08:54 PM
I've had a couple Hypancistrus sp. L066 King Tiger Plecos for quite some time now and I'm trying to sex and possibly breed two of them. I bought them in the beginning of the year 2018 and they were probably hatched in December of 2017 so two years almost.

This one I suspect is a male, the darker color, the thinner body all leads me to believe it's a male, it's about 77mm

And this one I suspect is a female, hence it's more thicker body and more vibrant colors, this one's about 78mm

Here's both of them together, with suspected female on the left and suspected male on the right.

Am I right with these assumptions? And when should I start trying to breed them if my thoughts are correct?
I still think they're a bit young but I'm not an expert.

Boundava
10-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Males usually have odontodes, hairy projections around the sides of the head and on the pectoral fins. Not sure what the maturity rate is for them, but at 2 years I would think one or the other would have some development already if a male.

This site has a lot of great info on catfish;
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=174

toddnbecka
10-26-2019, 12:45 AM
They're slow to mature, may actually be a couple more years before they'll breed.

MrDankYT
10-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your replies, and I do know about odontodes and I couldn't tell anything from them, and about when they mature I also wasn't sure, some sites said they grow to 9cm but others 12, I'm really not sure.

MrDankYT
10-26-2019, 04:22 PM
What would be the best way to make them grow faster? To speed up their motabolism? My thoughts are warmer water and more and better food, to have them together by themselves in a barebottom 30 gallon tank so i can feed them often and still have the tank real clean

toddnbecka
10-28-2019, 04:17 AM
Patience, and let them grow out normally. If you want something to breed faster get some Ancistrus. They typically mature about 8 months after hatching.

Boundava
10-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Agree, you don't want to rush them. It stresses them out in a different way. Slow and steady is best for the fish and their future offspring.

MrDankYT
11-01-2019, 08:40 AM
I don't mean it like that, just like move them to a different but same sized tank which will suit more of their preferences, for example warmer water and better cave systems

Boundava
11-01-2019, 11:41 AM
You should follow what the pleco needs in the wild; so yes warmer waters and more (aquatic) protein rich foods. This will provide them optimal growing conditions. Going bare bottom is your choice. I find sand is easy to clean as well.

angelcraze2
11-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Oooh, I love them!!!! I used to have a pair of l002 tiger plecos, the female has a slightly rounder belly. I never saw any babies, but they used to chill all day together in an artificial log at the back of my 120g. Later they started sucking the angels' slime coat, so I had to rehome them, but they were so nice to have. Here's a pic of my pair when I got them out of the tank. Lol, I just had to pick up the artificial log and plop them into a bucket. That's why it's a bit dirty (Sorry)

So I'm not sure if yours are male/female, but it looks like maybe they are :) Do keep us updated with your breeding project!

MrDankYT
11-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Does it mean anything if they keep going into the clay cave or is it just hiding? This is the one i suspect is a female, but i also saw the suspected male in there once, they do have lots of other hiding places.

Slaphppy7
11-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Many like to hide, some hide more than others...how brightly lit is the tank?

MrDankYT
11-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Sure i knew that, just wanted to know if it does have any meaning when they're sub-adults, the tank is mildly lit, with a long filament light the same length of the aquarium