PDA

View Full Version : New 15 gal betta Community tank.

Daniel_E
06-26-2019, 09:37 PM
So I am revamping an old black water tank into a betta Community tank.

It's a 15gal set up with sponge/bio filter, driftwood, sand, rock, and lightly planted.

It has two small vines that I have clipped to the top. Just added some small Java Fern and will be getting something like frogbit to float.

Here is a few pics.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/f1a8f9acc9fc4c0fbc2c2a0cae70826f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/4cc1c5194dfeff11412a3ab4fae05195.jpg

It is populated right now with a few ramshorn snails and one betta splendens "dragon scale" male.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/753c688b3c59fa57f8e473623a1c87bc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/cc0a4f3b7fd34a2b028653c1a5bc6751.jpg

Their is some debris from older decayed leaves. I will also be adding some new almond leaves to tint the water again.

For the community part. I'm thinking of either a Glowlight tetras or pygmy corydoras.

What is the community's thoughts on this setup?

Silbar
06-28-2019, 02:34 PM
My only concern would be possible damage/injury to the fins of the Betta from the sharp edges of the drift wood. But I am not a Betta expert.

Daniel_E
06-28-2019, 02:41 PM
My only concern would be possible damage/injury to the fins of the Betta from the sharp edges of the drift wood. But I am not a Betta expert.The driftwood really is not Sharp. I had it in another tanks setup for over a year so it was wore down quite a bit.

Slaphppy7
06-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the AC.

Setup looks very nice, 15G is a bit large for a betta tank, but he'll enjoy the extra space...that being said, you do have room for some more nano fish, but not all bettas make good community tank mates...some work just fine, some do not...and you really won't know if yours will play nice with others until you try

Glowlight tetras need a bigger tank, but you could try ember tetras, as well as most other nano fish...celestial pearl danios would look great in that tank

How long has it been set up?...what temp do you keep the tank at?....what is the ph, gh, and kh of the tank water?...you'll need to consider these things when researching what other fish may work with the betta

Daniel_E
06-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the AC.

Setup looks very nice, 15G is a bit large for a betta tank, but he'll enjoy the extra space...that being said, you do have room for some more nano fish, but not all bettas make good community tank mates...some work just fine, some do not...and you really won't know if yours will play nice with others until you try

Glowlight tetras need a bigger tank, but you could try ember tetras, as well as most other nano fish...celestial pearl danios would look great in that tank

How long has it been set up?...what temp do you keep the tank at?....what is the ph, gh, and kh of the tank water?...you'll need to consider these things when researching what other fish may work with the betta

Welcome to the AC.

How long has it been set up? Over a year. This it just a reset of sorts. New fish, new plants. But the driftwood and rocks sand biomedia are a year old. I had emerald Rasbora in it before as a black water set-up.

what temp do you keep the tank at? 78

what is the ph, gh, and kh of the tank water?
Oh is 7.2 right now but will go lower as the water ages and I add in more botanicals.
Before it was stable around 6.5. I do know know the current gh/kh.

Slaphppy7
06-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Test your tap water ph, after it has been allowed to "gas off" for 24 hours...your ph shouldn't fluctuate much in the tank

How often do you perform water changes?

blankoya
01-23-2020, 09:02 PM
It has two small vines that I have clipped to the top. Just added some small Java Fern and will be getting something like frogbit to float.

Slaphppy7
01-24-2020, 01:24 PM

What is the purpose of repeating other member's posts?

The Cichlid Keeper
03-13-2020, 01:44 AM
My thoughts on Male Bettas and tetras is I don't trust them together. I've known some tetra species - particularly White skirt Tetras, to be mildly aggressive, that is, far less aggressive than Yellow Lab Mbunas, but slightly mean. Please be careful about the tetra species you choose because some will nip long fins including Neons and Cardinals. Looks like a good tank.
If you're looking for a good reason to repeat another post, I'd say it's to get their attention, not to repeat too many times. My opinion*.

The Cichlid Keeper
03-13-2020, 01:48 AM
Female Bettas are better community tank fish. I'm just sayin that because I had one female with a bunch of random community fish and wasn't bothered. Male was in a smaller tank with Rasboras and the same female, didn't make it.

Slaphppy7
03-13-2020, 12:04 PM
My thoughts on Male Bettas and tetras is I don't trust them together. I've known some tetra species - particularly White skirt Tetras, to be mildly aggressive, that is, far less aggressive than Yellow Lab Mbunas, but slightly mean. Please be careful about the tetra species you choose because some will nip long fins including Neons and Cardinals. Looks like a good tank.
If you're looking for a good reason to repeat another post, I'd say it's to get their attention, not to repeat too many times. My opinion*.

Neon and cardinal tetras are not known for fin nipping, at all.

Boundava
03-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Slaphppy7 has many good points. Glowlight tetra may be too big for the 15 gallon but a smaller tetra like the ember is a spectacular substitute. Neons and cardinals are not fin nippers, though they will be faster than the betta and may get to all the food before him. You can also go with a small rasbora like the hengeli (glowlight rasbora, 1.2") or espei (lambchop rasbora, 1.2") . I currently have a 75 gallon set up with a betta, large school of the hengli and espi, a bunch of honey gourami, a ton of eels and some plecos-they all get along very well.

One issue you may have is that male or female (which can be more aggressive than males) if they are the first in the tank, they may see the whole tank as their territory. One way to fix this is to temporarily remove the betta, switch around the decor a bit and add the other (less territorial) tank mates then re-introduce the betta last.

All fish have their own quirks and one betta may be a pushover and the other may be the terminator, you never know.

BTW that is a real beauty of a betta.

The Cichlid Keeper
03-13-2020, 08:37 PM
I'm just saying that Tetras have nipped fins before, according to some stories. Female Bettas are better for communities, but I have no real problem putting bettas with Tetras, so GO FOR IT!thumbs2: I've heard the stories. I haven't seen the thing.

Bellasmith
10-08-2020, 12:35 PM
I'm looking for a new fish tank for my betta, I would like it at least 5 gallons. what type of tank do you recommend? Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Boundava
10-08-2020, 07:30 PM
I'm looking for a new fish tank for my betta, I would like it at least 5 gallons. what type of tank do you recommend? Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

You will get more responses if you start this as your own thread instead of responding to a prior thread.

Bellasmith
10-14-2020, 09:44 AM
You will get more responses if you start this as your own thread instead of responding to a prior thread.

Thanks so much! I have purchased a Fluval Spec V (https://reefersdirect.com/best-betta-fish-tanks/) from Amazon after I read a lot of positive reviews about this product. Everything works well but does not include a heater so I have to buy it separately.